Quiet helmet recommendations?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
elephant8869

Re: Quiet helmet recommendations?

Post by elephant8869 »

I've got a Schuberth C3 Pro and an Arai RX-7v and the Schuberth is significant quieter. Arai has far better venting and visor though but I use the Schuberth pretty much all the time
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Well, tell the manufacturers they don't know what they are talking about. Didn't intend to offend, but if you try the same brand flip helmets with the same brand full face solid build, even the manufacturer will tell you to expect the flip to be a bit more noisy. I have the same brand in both styles, and the flip in more noisy. Buy what makes you happy.

As for flip front being easier to get on, that is absolutely true! You can spread the helmet so it fits over your head noticeably easier. But saying that the flip front allows the chin bar to fit closer to the face is a bit off fact. I don't see a lot of difference there and I for sure don't want it much closer than it is. There are a ton of factors in a quiet helmet. Possibly on  naked bike air getting under the chin is more of a factor. But with the chin curtain on my helmets, there is no air that I can feel getting in there anyway. The biggest reasons a flip front is apt to be more noisy is the design of the hinge area and how it seals when down. There are compromises that have to be made here. That extra seam is going to be a source of noise.

I don't doubt that some can honestly say their flip front is quieter than some or many of the solid full face helmets they have used. Helmets are getting better, especially the flip fronts. I have used a solid full face Arai helmet and find them more noisy than average. I have never owned a Schuberth as I won't pay their price to experiment. I do have a Shoei, Scorpion, HJC helmets that have many miles on them. I have one of the 2016 Bell Star helmets that is what I currently ride with. It and the Shoei are the most quiet I have ever had. The Shoei Multi-tec I had a couple years ago was given to my brother in law, I didn't like the weight or the noise.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Realshelby, have seen pics on other forums you are on of your car. I am a massive fan of the cobra, do you have a website or any info on yours, love bikes, but also love classic cars  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This is going the same way as which oil is best.  Over and out.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: This is going the same way as which oil is best.  Over and out.

Which oil IS best?

notnot
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

got a shoei neotec which I've had for 3 years - love it!

recent ride magazine article listed a review of flip fronts which is worth a look.  Neotec gets good reviews
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

A few years back I went over to 3/4 helmets with a face shield, still pretty noisy. Then removed face shield and just wear riding sunglasses. Very quiet, relatively speaking.

One thing I've always noticed about the BMW crowd over all other bike riders, they 'suit up' from head to toe in more body armor than any other single type of bike owner. At that's the way it is up here in New England. Same elsewhere?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think your right.  It's probably an age thing as most of us have twigged falling off wearing a T shirt and shorts hurts and I for one now know I'm not immortal which I was in my 20s.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I've always been ATGATT - why wouldn't you?

I'll never get the guys who spend £500 on a helmet and then ride in jeans...
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

richardbd wrote: I'll never get the guys who spend £500 on a helmet and then ride in jeans...
Speaking of helmets I see Skully has died before it even got started, not good for anyone who forked out on a pre-order $1500!! https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/06/skull ... -its-over/
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

RTman10 wrote: Think your right.  It's probably an age thing as most of us have twigged falling off wearing a T shirt and shorts hurts and I for one now know I'm not immortal which I was in my 20s.

There's something to be said for the age/wisdom thing and no longer being immortal (although you wouldn't know it from the Harley crowd!) but even more than age it just seems VERY bike specific. These are all gross generalizations, I realize, but here it goes:

Harley riders: jeans, t-shirts (black, of course), and maybe a leather vest and some gloves. No helmet, just sunglasses.
Crotch rockets: shorts, t-shirts (or no shirt at all), flip flops (yep, I've seen it!), helmets firmly attached to the side of the bike!
Gold Wings: button-down shirts, pants, 3/4 helmets.
Most sport/tourers: a mixed bag but usually jeans, some sort of shirt or jacket combo, helmet.

BMW riders: Kevlar carbon fiber re-enforced gloves, socks, pants, t-shirt, shirt, coat, boots and probably underwear with class III body armor at all the joints and suspect areas topped by a full face helmet that exceeds NASA standards!

Of course I'm being funny, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with suiting up to the fullest protection. I tend to run somewhere down the middle and if I ever get hit (again - have before) and go down hard I'll likely wish I had more.

But again, it just seems very brand and even more so, model specific! One could make the argument that RT riders, as evidenced by they're motorcycle selection, are obviously of a much increased level of intelligence and therefore dress accordingly!

Now, where were we... Oh yeah, helmets!

Every fully closed full face, modular full face or 3/4 with face shield has been noisy. All of them. I can't wear ear plugs more than an hour before they become painful. It's an ear thing.
wethead

Post by wethead »

The Shubert seems to me the lightes and quietest, unfortunately, I am in between 59 and 61 sizes--one too small one too big.

I had a Shoei GT that was uncomfortable and went back to an HJC which fit my head best. That's the problem with helmets, especially if you are gonna tour long distance: Comfort is everything. You can always plug your ears completely with wax ear plugs. They work better than the foam ones.

I 'll post the source where you can get these great ear plugs when I find it. I can hardly hear my GPS with them on...then again, I am half deaf from guns, jets, and bikes.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

If you actually intend to do some sort of comparison, just remember there a variety of noise factors that you will want to equalize as much as possible. Helmet vents should all be closed. Each manufacturer does vents differently. My Neotec is much quieter when the top vent is closed. Much hotter too. Also make sure that your windscreen is at the same level for each test. The difference of as little as 1/2" in elevation can make all the difference in perceived wind noise. Good luck.
8)
Oh the places we will go
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

RTman10 wrote: BMW System 6 Evo. Comfortable , Pinlock as standard and reasonable quiet. As others though, I still use ear plugs.
+1 on the BMW helmets and using ear plugs...  Peter
Noel

Post by Noel »

Shoei RF-1200.  Fits just right, on the snug see, but the wind roar is absolutely prodigious.  Since buying it I use the best ear plugs I can find.  I bought it when I was on an F800GT which has no wind protection for your shoulders on up.  I can ride my RTW w/o plugs but still prefer to use them as I enjoy the quiet cocoon and music sounds better w/ earplugs in--filters out competing background noise for the louder music coming thru SENA 10R speakers at point blank range.  The earplugs properly installed trim the dB's coming from the speakers so you're not hurting your ears--no tinnitus here  ^-^