Installation of Toll RFID tag

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest3167

Installation of Toll RFID tag

Post by guest3167 »

Hey all.

Looking for a good location under the nose of my 2011 R1200RT to install my toll RFID (EZPass).
I don't feel I want it removable... Because I don't worry moving it... I just want it out of sight... Not under windshield or in the glovebox (though mine has a radio). Nor do I want to carry it in my jacket.

Also... I've read that on top can mess with the satellite radio reception.

Anyone know of a good forward-facing cavity that I could play "hide the transceiver?" [emoji2]

Thanks in advance.

--Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BackAtIt53

Re: Installation of Toll RFID tag

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Here  in Florida we use "Sun Pass". Same concept, different name. It is available in two versions. The first is a 1.5"x 4" rectangular transponder that uses a pair of suction cups to attach to the windshield of an automobile. The second is a 1.5" x 3" RFID sticker. The sticker comes with a warning, stating that this must be placed on a GLASS surface, as the glass acts as an antenna.
I have the suction cup version that I have stuck to the underside of the top box lid. Works perfectly. The sticker version was out for obvious reasons.
FYI- RFIDs are passive devices, reacting to a query from toll machinery. You should not have any sort of electronic interference whatsoever from any RFID sticker or device. If you are experiencing interference to your radio signal, look elsewhere.
Stay safe. 8)
Oh the places we will go
guest3167

Post by guest3167 »

BackAtIt53 wrote: {Snip}The sticker comes with a warning, stating that this must be placed on a GLASS surface, as the glass acts as an antenna.
I have the suction cup version that I have stuck to the underside of the top box lid. Works perfectly. The sticker version was out for obvious reasons.
FYI- RFIDs are passive devices, reacting to a query from toll machinery. You should not have any sort of electronic interference whatsoever from any RFID sticker or device. If you are experiencing interference to your radio signal, look elsewhere.
Stay safe. 8)
I'm with you about unimpeded visibility to the reader devices overhead... But glass being used as an antenna? An inert material? Not following, Florida DOT.

As for the suction device, I do have one. I do stick the pass right above the dash on the underside of the windshield. I just don't trust the common man to not take it... So I have to always remove it.

And the tag does have circuitry in it... And a battery. Maybe to give a burst of signal when activated... But either way, maybe my current location just blocks the sat signal from the satellite. I find if I remove it from where i have it... It receives better. (1bar better... But still better).

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

If you have a top box, rest assured that the  signal WILL pass through the top. This also keeps the device hidden from all who might entertain the thought of relieving you of it.

As to Florida DOT, the info about it having to be mounted to glass is on the instructions printed on the packaging????. As to internal batteries, the State of Florida recalled all of those and issued the newer passive units, I know this as I was an original participant in the early test program and used to have one of those battery powered units. It even gave you account balances.
8) 
Oh the places we will go
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Why not one of the glove boxes? I stuck mine in the left one and it picks up just fine. You can lock it in there but I don't keep mine locked. I push it back and put some other small incidentals in front of it like ear plugs and a small bottle of meds. I also painted it black so you can't see it in there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk