tyre life

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Cas21

tyre life

Post by Cas21 »

help,please
I off to the French Alps which is around 2200 miles round trip. I run pr4gt on my twin cam.
I have just under 3mm on the front and just over 3mm on the back. Both tyres look fine and I'm after opinions as to whether they will last or should I change. Hate wasting rubber! They have done around 6000 already
guest2360

Re: tyre life

Post by guest2360 »

I understand the minimum tread on the continent in one countries is 2mm.  I consider 6K on set to be reasonable and if it was me with a fully loaded bike I would leave with a new set.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Change now you will have peace of mind on the trip.  I got 6300 miles from my Z8 with a similar depth left . Now running the new 01 Roadttec ready for my European trip in September (£288 fitted to loose wheels)
R1250RT LE
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I don't think I've ever managed to run a rear tyre on a bike to 8,000 miles - and I'm not much of a pie eater!

Change them and enjoy the trip...

daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I'm hoping for 8000- 10000 from the 01's. Has anyone done any serious miles on the new Metzeler's yet?
R1250RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I've got them on.  Front has now done 2200 and looks mint.  Back swapped st 1000 due to a builders nail.  That was also mint would you believe.  But 10k .  That'll be a first for me by miles.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

daverj wrote: I'm hoping for 8000- 10000 from the 01's. Has anyone done any serious miles on the new Metzeler's yet?

You're either half my weight or your right wrist is half as active as mine.

I've kept bikes for less than 10k, never mind tyres!

What's your secret Dave??

daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Always been light on tyres. Ride quickly but smoothly .  No harsh acceleration or braking. The RTLC is great because everyone thinks they must be slow and ponderous  until they star to disappear from view  in the rear view mirror
R1250RT LE
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

daverj wrote: Always been light on tyres. Ride quickly but smoothly .  No harsh acceleration or braking. The RTLC is great because everyone thinks they must be slow and ponderous  until they star to disappear from view  in the rear view mirror

I also like to think I'm quick and smooth - I'm an IAM observer, so (in theory at least) coach others to be the same.

I suspect the big difference is that I do a lot of riding with a group of mates on dual-sport bikes, so we're always up and down single-tracks and real windy lanes.  I've even done a fair bit of gravel/dirt roading on my RTLC.  Probably doesn't help the tyre life...
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Not worth the risk IMO! And not worth losing half a day if the need arises to change while away, you can always put them back on when the new ones wear out 👍
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Agree 8K on a set of PR4GTs feels like a lot, however the tread depth sounds OK.  I just finished 1,700 miles to the Harz mountains, two up with luggage and I think it only cost me about 1mm or just over of tread.  Now I am back happy I did not waste the rubber!  Peter
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cas21 wrote:Both tyres look fine and I'm after opinions as to whether they will last or should I change.
If in doubt, put new rubber on for the trip & keep the others as "part worns", to be refitted at a later date.

That's exactly what I did with Dunlop Roadsmarts, see this thread for details, it may help with the decision making, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=4
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

Thanks all for thoughts/advice, bit the bullet and putting new on. If I was going on my own, I would have run them out but, with the good lady on the back, it's kinda wrong to risk it.
Still a bit unclear about what mileage a are being had out of the pr4 GTs though
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I've currently got 6500 miles out of my original PR4 GT tyres since new last Sept. Plenty of tread left, but squaring off due to my daily commute! The tyres have had a combination of a 2000 mile Euro trip this summer, umpteen commuting journeys, and a fair bit of weekend use on A & B roads. They should get to 8000 miles, but will doubtless need changing at that point! All in all, I've been very satisfied with their all-round performance wet & dry. Yes, I would buy the same again.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Got 6k out of my front PR4GT still got 3mm tread, but they are cupped, so will change shortly