2016 RT fairing removal

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Q

2016 RT fairing removal

Post by Q »

Does anyone know how to remove the front right hand fairing on a 2016 RT LE? I can only find a 2014 video which is the older RT that I used to have.
I am trying to mount a hardwired roadhawk camera and want to tap into the right hand accessories socket to keep everything neat.
guest2360

Re: 2016 RT fairing removal

Post by guest2360 »

Page 117 of your handbook explained how to.
Q

Post by Q »

Typical,  if all else fails RTFM  :grave:

Many thanks, it's on page 130 in my manual. 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Q wrote:Does anyone know how to remove the front right hand fairing on a 2016 RT LE?
I can only find a 2014 video which is the older RT that I used to have.
Is this video any help, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDoeYK9tvmI
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't want to throw a spanner into your plan but be aware that it has been known for some items once plumbed into accessory sockets to keep them alive after switch off.  Suggest you listen carefully after you turn off the ignition for a slight click about 40 seconds later  indicating the system has shut down.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have got an Autocom & Sat. Nav. mount powered from the rear aux. socket (+ve only),  with the -ve from the battery without any problems.

If the aux. socket did remain live, but nothing was plugged in to it, would this be a problem.
Last edited by David. on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q

Post by Q »

Thanks RTman10,  I will check  that. It was fine on my 2005 RT, but this one is a bit more electronic!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The item I have seen keeping it open and taking power was the Autocom Bluetooth dongle but not the latest BTM 02. If whatever you wire in has a power light on it its easy enough to check.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Presumably, any electrical item consuming power (load) will keep the aux. socket open.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Presumably, any electrical item consuming power (load) will keep the aux. socket open

No it seems just some do, the rest  just shut down with the Canbus. Its when they don't and it keeps the socket open,  starting the next morning can get difficult. A good example is a compatible battery charger but with the power going the right way of course.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Taken from the Rider's Manual.

Power sockets

Automatic shutdown

"The power supply to the sockets is switched off a certain time after the ignition is switched off, in order to prevent overloading of the onboard electrics. Low-wattage electrical accessories might not be recognised by the vehicle’s electronics. In such cases, power sockets are switched off very shortly after the ignition is turned off."

"If the battery charge state is too low to maintain the motorcycle's start capability, the power sockets are switched off."

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On the 1981 Yamaha XJ650, there are some Oxford heated grips fitted, they are supplied via an ignition switched live (like BMW aux. socket),  if the battery voltage drops too low, the control unit switches them off.

Surely after 35 years, BMW have caught up with this technology too.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

If what you connect do have a capacitor inside to filter noise, then the bike after switching off the power socket do measure some voltage on the connector still there, then switching the connector back on as it "could" be a charger connected.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Removing the fairing on the 16 should be the same as 14, no changes
A Warning and a Caution
WARNING
Be careful removing panel after screws are out, the 2 tabs that hold the panel to the upper piece are fragile and easily broken
CAUTION
the screws you remove have a plastic washer and different length shanks, I have found it best to use a short length of masking tape and secure the screw next to its respective hole
Don't forget there are a couple rubber grommets on the various side panel these can easily get displaced and are difficult to relocate once they drop down

My dealer supplied me with some extra grommets and a bag of washers, so I wouldn't be caught short
As a last note a bit of silicone grease on the end of screws helps them get started into nut/nut plate easier
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Surely after 35 years, BMW have caught up with this technology too.

Of course they have.  The accessory sockets are isolated if Canbus decides the voltage is too low.  It will also switch off your GPS, heated grips and seats.  But if something has been grafted into the system that keeps taking power after you switch off your battery will be well down before that happens.