Roadsmart "Combination"

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Roadsmart "Combination"

Post by Our Gee »

Morning all, just had a reply back from the Tyre Doctor at Dunlop UK with a quite non-committal opinion to a query I asked. Basically I asked if it would be ok to run a Roadsmart 1 rear with a Roadsmart 3 front on an RT. All they would say is that both the Roadsmarts 1 and 3 are "Sport Touring" tyres and that they are not aware of any approval tests of that combination. The reason I would want to use the above combination, for a while anyway, is that having recently fitted a new Roadsmart rear, my front Roadsmart is now showing a weird wear pattern (just back from a three days hard riding around Moray's superbly surfaced roads) and will require replacing soon so I thought I would try the 3 version on the front. Eventually I will probably go for Roadsmart 3s Front and Rear. Sorry if this sounds muddled. Has anyone tried this combination ?.
guest2360

Re: Roadsmart "Combination"

Post by guest2360 »

Just had a look at the Dunlop site.  For a 15RT they only show Roadsmart  2. I was always of the opinion you kept the front and the back the same.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have seen these comments posted on another Forum.

"When tyres are made the tyres carcass and the tread blocks are designed to flex and move about and grip in a certain way.
The manufacturers match front and rear to work together in a (sort of) uniform way."

"Always ride on matched tyres - they are designed to work together."

When getting caught out in Scotland, ended up with a Metzeler Z6 on the front & a Michelin PR1 on the rear.
The bike seemed ride ok, but replaced the front for a matched pair ASAP.

One thing to be aware of is, following an accident, insurance companies may check the tyres on the bike.
If they are not recommended for that model or of mixed manufacture/tread pattern, they may throw out the claim.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For a 2012 RT, Dunlop also recommend the RoadSmart II, http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/tyr ... &year=2012, as a set (pair),  not F or R.

BMW recommend the original RoadSmart (I).
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have rang Dunlop UK on 0121 306 6000 to see if they have any promotions on at the moment, the answer was no, they are usually available at the start of the new year (2017).

We also discussed the mixing of tread patterns, RS 3 on the front & RS 1 on the rear, said he will get someone to look into it & call me back.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

We also discussed the mixing of tread patterns, RS 3 on the front & RS 1 on the rear, said he will get someone to look into it & call me back.

Thanks for that David. I will be interested to hear what they have to say. Personally I don't have that much concern having a Roadsmart 1 on the rear and a 3 on the front. I suppose I only asked the manufacturer as I did expect them to say it's ok !!. Your own experience of having to mix a Pilot Road 1 and a Metzeler Z6 does highlight the problem of availability either at short notice and or in remote locations when a tyre replacement is necessary. If manufacturers had a real concern surely they would be obligated to say "Warning", Must only be fitted together with a tyre of the same designated type and version.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Road to Ireland a few years ago with a guy on a VFR800, he had a Bridgestone 021 on the front & a Metzeler Z8 on the rear as fitted by a tyre dealer.

We weren't hanging about & he didn't fall off.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:I will be interested to hear what they have to say.
Dunlop have responded with, "it is permissible to mix RoadSmart 1 & 3 as they are both Sport Touring tyres."

They also said, "it is better to run a matched pair, they work better together."

Dunlop Technical can be contacted on 08453 453 453, option 3.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So according to the experts if it's classed as a sports touring tyre it's OK  to mix them. So any make so described is OK? Wonder what the insurance world would make of that.  That advice is probably not worth the cost of the phone call.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dunlop are not recommending mixing makes (brands),  only using the same make, (RoadSmarts in this case) with different tread patterns.

What would the insurers make of a tyre fitted to an RT that isn't on the BMW OEM fitting list.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What would the insurers make of a tyre fitted to an RT that isn't on the BMW OEM fitting list.

Not a problem if the manufacturer recommends them and they are a match pair.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The tyre manufacturer may recommend them, but are they on the BMW Motorrad Tyre Options list.

The most recent BMW list only recommends, Continental RA 2GT, Metzeler Z8 & Michelin PR 4GT for the LC.
Sprintgull wrote:'16 RT. The standard fit Metzeler Z8 seem ok.
For the same reason, will be sticking with RoadSmart 1 on the TC.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Wow, this is getting interesting. I've just Googled "Mis-Matching Motorcycle Tyres" and there's a wealth of stuff out there. I think a lot of the fuss is born out by the very term "Mis-Matched" as if it means "Dangerously Matched". Dunlop's response (thanks David) does seem to lean towards if both tyres are Sport Touring Tyres then it's ok. Some of the other forum postings put great credance on the "Curvature or Profile" being the same Front and Rear. Well we all know that the Front and Rear profile is only the same when the tyres are brand new and from then on a pronounced and increasing difference can be seen. My front Roadsmart 1 has two distinct "flats" either side of the centre, each "flat" being different in area to the other. On my recent trip up to Moray I was experiencing much more then usual front end shake on overbanding and road ruts, hence my intention to renew this tyre. Oh, blow it, as my rear Roadsmart 1 has only done 900 miles I might just fit another Roadsmart 1 to the front again and bite the bullet for a pair of the more expensive Roadsmart 3 when my current rear has squared off !!.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When the time comes slap a pair of Roadtec 01s on. Brilliant.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Oh, blow it, as my rear Roadsmart 1 has only done 900 miles I might just fit another Roadsmart 1 to the front again and bite the bullet for a pair of the more expensive Roadsmart 3 when my current rear has squared off !!.
For £72 plus fitting, seems like a good idea.

The Metzeler Roadtec 01's are not recommended by BMW for the TC.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.