Parcel of trouble?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
lobdeggydog

Parcel of trouble?

Post by lobdeggydog »

Following on from this post https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7
I've been getting some miles in on the bike but I'm getting increasingly concerned about it.
Monday, jumped on it after work but couldn't get it in gear. Eventually managed to get it into 2nd to get away. Went to meet a mate for a ride out but engine cut out on me. Repeated efforts to get it restarted didn't work. Engine would fire up then die almost immediately. Dash still lit so assume it was fuel rather than electrics that caused it. Anyway, pushed it into a parking space and waited for mate who arrived 10 mins later. Tried bike and it fired up straight away with no problems and was OK for rest of ride.
Today, same problem getting it into gear after work then tooling along at ~40mph in 3rd and bike jumps into neutral. Made a hell of a row, thought it was properly knackered so stopped for a look around. Couldn't see anything obvious and it got me home OK but now I'm wary about taking it out.

Bike is an '06 model. It's only done ~30,000 miles. Was serviced a year ago and my old man only did ~150 miles last year (that's why he gave it to me).

Any insights gratefully received.
guest2360

Re: Parcel of trouble?

Post by guest2360 »

Gearbox and engine troubles won't be related.  But having really stood for a whole year the first thing it should have had was an annual service.
Check and lubricate the gear linkage and chech the gearbox oil level.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Was the bike serviced at a BMW dealer & on what date.
lobdeggydog

Post by lobdeggydog »

@DaygloDavid Bike was serviced 19/06/2015 by a Honda outfit in Hull.

Got any recommendations for someone up here to have a look (I'm topside of Durham)?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

lobdeggydog wrote:Got any recommendations for someone up here to have a look (I'm topside of Durham)?
Mick Kendrick in Sunderland, http://www.mick-kendrick.co.uk/
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why not take it to a BMW bike  dealer let them plug it in , discover its history and get a full service done. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mick Kendrick worked at a BMW dealer for thirteen years, reaching the level of Senior Technician, before he set up his own service workshop.

His hourly rate is likely to be half that of a BMW dealer.

Mick has the GS-911 Diagnostic tool etc.

A BMW dealer only has access to their own records, not that of all dealers.

Determine the faults would provide a course of action.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Car or bike, he doesn't say and there's a whole of of difference.  All dealers have access to any warranty work ever carried out on a bike and check all recalls have been done.  There was a big one about 2 years ago on the rear wheel flange.  This also identifies where that work was carried out.  They would also as a matter of course complete any software updates it might have missed. So if you only do it once it might just be worth it.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mick worked at Cooper BMW in Sunderland, have used his motorcycle services in the past.

He once came to our house to complete some service items. Not sure if he still provides a mobile service.

http://www.mick-kendrick.co.uk/services/

Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobdeggydog

Post by lobdeggydog »

Bike was booked into Cooper BMW next Tuesday for wheel flange recall before these problems came to light. They mentioned something about a fuel pump recall too. Probably won't want to be paying their hourly rate for fixes though.

A mate has also texted me about Mike Kendrick, says he's the best beemer man around here so have contacted him to get bike looked at next week.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:A BMW dealer only has access to their own records, not that of all dealers.
My RT was purchased from Allan Jeffries & has since been serviced at Cooper Sunderland.

When recently enquiring about servicing requirements, AJ's only had access to their records & not the work done by Cooper's.

BMW Warranty do have access to all service history etc.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

lobdeggydog wrote:A mate has also texted me about Mike Kendrick, says he's the best beemer man around here so have contacted him to get bike looked at next week.
Unfortunatley, Mick is not VAT registered, otherwise I would use him to service my RT.

The reason being, to uphold the T&C's of the BMW Warranty, work needs to be carried out at a BMW dealer or VAT registered independent, using genuine BMW parts.

Having said that, both my previous RT's had stamps in the service book from Mick Kendrick, when trading the bikes, the BMW dealers didn't seem bothered.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BMW Warranty do have access to all service history etc.
And that history is available to any dealer.  It has to be so they can process things like extended warranty claims.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Perhaps AJ's don't know what they are doing, when asked what service work my RT was due, they couldn't look at what Cooper had done.

When speaking to BMW Warranty Services, the above was confirmed as correct & that they themselves had access to all national records etc.

Warranty work on my RT was forwarded by the dealer to BMW Warranty Services for their attention/decision on what to do.

Had the same experience with Barrie Robson at York, they submit the claim & BMW Warranty decide what to do about it.

It's out of the dealers hands.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Believe me dealers don't pass warranty claims blind to BMW.