Good place to mount video cam?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Northern Soul

Re: Good place to mount video cam?

Post by Northern Soul »

sofnolime wrote: I think you might struggle to damp out any movement as the mass of the camera is well forward of the fixed mounting point creating a large bending moment around the fixed mounting point.  Any flex due to road or machine vibration will be amplified because of the distance from the camera to this fixed point.  The best way to eliminate this would be to try and brace the camera to a second mounting point somewhere below the existing fixed point, but this would be a lot of work.  If the movement is caused my road or machine vibration, I think flexible mounting dampers would actually make things worse by reducing the rigidity of the whole system.

John

thanks John, I think you're right, I'm not sure I can improve things in this area without lots of work and some engeneering/technical skill.........which I don't have!! 
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Glad you got the mount sorted.
The vibration issue was the reason I fitted my Drift under the headlight.
No vibration and a good field of view.
Also it's quite discreet and not easily visible.
Any particular reason you chose the screen??
^-^
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

BeeJay wrote: Glad you got the mount sorted.
The vibration issue was the reason I fitted my Drift under the headlight.
No vibration and a good field of view.
Also it's quite discreet and not easily visible.
Any particular reason you chose the screen??

Well I was thinking that higher would be better for increased perspective of surroundings but actually it's not hugely different. The stability of the under headlight adhesive mount is much better. I've got it mounted on the helmet also which adds different perspective, then my partner will have it on hers at times as well for a pillion view of things.

I like the video tagging function in the drift, means you can capture key moments, even when you've whizzed passed them!
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Northern Soul wrote: I've gone for the drift ghost-S camera after lots of research.

John, where did you find was the best place to buy the Drift Ghost-S?

Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Sullivj wrote: John, where did you find was the best place to buy the Drift Ghost-S?
Got it from curry's. Cheaper than anywhere else - £230 I think
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I've used a RAM ball mount bolt (the sort that you can use to replace one of the handlebar bolts on the yoke). I removed the bar end weight and the RAM bolt is the same thread etc. I can then mount the camera a the end of the handlebar and access it easily on the move.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Stratman wrote: I've used a RAM ball mount bolt (the sort that you can use to replace one of the handlebar bolts on the yoke). I removed the bar end weight and the RAM bolt is the same thread etc. I can then mount the camera a the end of the handlebar and access it easily on the move.
Wow, interesting place for a mount! The beauty of mine is that it comes with a very handy remote which can go around the wrist. I'm going to Velcro it to the tank. It has 2 big buttons - start and stop basically, so it's easy to use with gloves.
I suppose the camera on the end of the handlebars would have a lot of play in it and obviously also be moving with the bars, rather than the bike?
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I use the velcro strap to hold the remote in place on top of the brake fluid reservoir.
It can be reached easily with the left hand.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I modified an old push bike computer handlebar mount so the remote is closer to my left hand.  It is also very easy to clip off and back on.

ImageRe: Good place to mount video cam?Re: Good place to mount video cam?

ImageRe: Good place to mount video cam?Re: Good place to mount video cam?
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

sofnolime wrote: I modified an old push bike computer handlebar mount so the remote is closer to my left hand.  It is also very easy to clip off and back on.

ImageRe: Good place to mount video cam?Re: Good place to mount video cam?Re: Good place to mount video cam?

ImageRe: Good place to mount video cam?Re: Good place to mount video cam?Re: Good place to mount video cam?
nice one, that looks good John. I think I'm going to put mine on the tank just in front of the petrol cap then it's accessible with both hands
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

That's neat. I have an old mount, I'll give it a try.
Better than faffing about with velcro.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

BeeJay wrote: That's neat. I have an old mount, I'll give it a try.
Better than faffing about with velcro.
Or.....I guess you could just use a long releasable cable tie?