Servo not enabling when foot brake applied .

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
willy9026

Servo not enabling when foot brake applied .

Post by willy9026 »

My 06 R 1200 RT brake fail light has started to stay on .Front brake works fine with servo operating normal,when rear brake applied there is no servo operating and seems to be just residual brake application! Any idea's please.
casper

Re: Servo not enabling when foot brake applied .

Post by casper »

Check your rear brake light switch is operating properly.
Check rear servo reservoir fluid level.
Check battery in good condition and terminals tight.
Otherwise plug in GS911 and look for fault codes.
Check rear speed sensor is clean and sensor cable undamaged.

Hope this helps. Good Luck  :thumbs:

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

willy9026 wrote:Any idea's please.
Is this any help, http://www.ridearound.net/maintenance/b ... e-warning/
willy9026

Post by willy9026 »

Cheers Casper, However I tried all your suggestions to no avail. I noticed my rear tyre was low so trip to the garage to inflate said tyre.(14 psi) oops.
put in 34 psi.still no change to servo operation. Just before I pulled on to my drive I thought I would go through an initial start up check again,ie. engine off,hold both front brake and rear brake on,ignition on,start up,wait for ignition and servo check to complete,pull away and hey presto! warning lights have gone off. Back to normal. Now surely low tyre pressure wasn't the cause of my rear servo not working or was it?https://d3oqeh0ujy6117.cloudfront.net/S ... e/cool.gif
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your tyre pressure would not effect the servo.  You might find the bike will go a little better if you increase the pressure to the recommended 42psi.  Front should be 36.5psi. On start up you just need to keep the hand lever on, not both. If you have a handbook give it a quick read.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The recommended tyre pressures for a 2006 RT are 32/36 psi or 36/42 psi, depending on the loading on the bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Owned 3 of them, 05, 07 and 09.  Allways felt more stable and planted when on 36 and 42 irrespective of load.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the 2006 RT Rider's Manual, there is no mention of applying the brake(s) during start up.

"Starting engine
Kill switch in run position.
Switch on the ignition.
Pre-ride check is performed.
ABS self-diagnosis is performed.
Press starter button."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's a long time since I had my servo but I'm sure you had to have the brakes applied or the brakes wouldn't set.  Could it just be the other way round as I can't remember the lever suddenly getting taunt as on residual it nearly goes back to the grips.  Lots of servo ones on here so someone will soon clarify.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this in an earlier Rider's Manual.

"The BMW Integral ABS performs self-diagnosis and a pull-away test to ensure its operability. Self-diagnosis is performed automatically when you switch on the ignition. Self-diagnosis is not performed unless both brake levers are in their fully released positions. Only the residual braking function is available until self-diagnosis completes.

If you switch on the ignition while the brakes are applied, then start the engine and ride off immediately, the BMW Integral ABS remains in its residual braking function mode. Self-diagnosis is performed as soon as the brake levers are in their fully released positions for the first time. Until this completes the ABS function is not available; the same applies to power assistance for the brakes. Wait for ABS self-diagnosis to complete before you start the engine."
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Now we all know. 
Dennian

Post by Dennian »

Hi mate sounds like your servo/abs unit is on its way out. Does your triangle light up constant red and is "brake failure" flashing? These usually fail on the rear brake first.  Have it plugged into a duagnostic to check first, but I am pretty sure that's what it is. How many miles has your bike done? Have you had the brake fluid changed regularly? The company that sorted mine out yesterday says this is the worst system he has ever seen. There are several solutions available to you depends how much you want to spend.
Life is like a toilet roll.. the closer to the end you get the faster it goes..