Rear caliper getting very hot.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
adewhitmarsh

Rear caliper getting very hot.

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Hi, i have noticed that the rear caliper has been getting very hot ,this happens mainly when I have a pillion. I have stripped caliper cleaned,lubricant & checked piston movement. Would fitting different brake pads help or is this normal ?
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear caliper getting very hot.

Post by daverj »

What year is your bike
R1250RT LE
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

2005,only done 17000 miles.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You need to be a bit careful with how much you take off to find the problem.  Bleeding aservo bike is not straight forward although some will tell,you it is.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I have not bleed the fluid, due next year,checked piston movement, cleaned pins and pads,all seem ok,brake  works fine.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Get that done by a dealer if I was you. As I said there are experts here who say it's easy, but it's far from straight forward.
Dennian

Post by Dennian »

Hi I have had a similar problem this year on a 56 plate. The end result was a sticking piston caused by the pressure in the wheel circuit not being released by the abs unit cause a faulty valve. You cannot repair these parts are not available.  A new abs unit is approx 1600.00 plus fitting. This system is the worst I have ever seen. Servo assisted brakes on a bike is overkill... The answer for me was to rip out the abs unit and re plumb the brakes back to standard, getting rid of the servo and abs. The brakes are more responsive and now work no more wondering when the electronics will fail again. Approx time including some electrical work 5 hours. The front brake now operates the front brake and the pedal the rear. Gone is the troublesome, unreliable and very expensive unit.
Back to a tried and tested braking method. Servo assist on a bike is overkill... Never ever had abs kick in either on any bike, if you are getting abs coming on you are trying to hard... Hope this helps, feel free to contact me if you need more info.
not
Life is like a toilet roll.. the closer to the end you get the faster it goes..
JonA

Post by JonA »

Dennian wrote: The answer for me was to rip out the abs unit and re plumb the brakes back to standard, getting rid of the servo and abs. The brakes are more responsive and now work no more wondering when the electronics will fail again. Approx time including some electrical work 5 hours. The front brake now operates the front brake and the pedal the rear. Gone is the troublesome, unreliable and very expensive unit
Interesting idea, but removing the factory ABS makes your bike pretty much impossible to PX and I would think difficult to sell, then you have to inform your insurance company about the non-standard modification to your bike - and what effect that would have on your insurance cost.

I have a 2005 model and touch-wood the brakes have not given me any trouble. I think if my servo/ABS module went south and could not be repaired, I'd replace it with a tested used one from someone like James Sherlock. The going rate is £400-£500 depending on condition. Not exactly small change but a lot less than £1600 new cost.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

You stated that the problem occurs mainly when carrying a pillion.  Could it be possible that you are sitting further forward than normal and inadvertently dragging the rear brake by your different positioning?

Just a thought, however it would be the cheapest and easiest solution to the problem...

Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing.....
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Cleverbee wrote: You stated that the problem occurs mainly when carrying a pillion.  Could it be possible that you are sitting further forward than normal and inadvertently dragging the rear brake by your different positioning?

Just a thought, however it would be the cheapest and easiest solution to the problem...

Upstairs for thinking, downstairs for dancing.....
Good thinking...
IF your RT has cruise control pack up your pillion rider and take a ride.
Try to engage your cruise control and set a speed; if it disengages without your command, it's likely you're inadvertently riding the foot brake.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dennian

Post by Dennian »

The insurance aspect is simple. Tell them what you have done, do it at a reputable agent, get a fresh mot and send the paperwork to the insurer. This is not classed as a modification but a rectification on probably the worst idea ever thought up about a braking system. Ask yourself why bmw got rid of this unit after 15 months... Because it was crap and they had massive problems hello abs two... Providing your brakes pass the mot test you are ok. There is no difference in performance without the servo unit in place other than having to use slightly more pressure on the lever and pedal, but, this is minimal. Value of your bike after this job, look at how many are for sale on the net after this procedure has been done. Very little difference. The value in peace of mind knowing your bike will stop when you need it to me is everything, not wondering if the servo unit is going to give way next time you need to stop...
Dennian

Post by Dennian »

By the way dealers like Sherlock will only guarantee a recon unit until you have left the forecourt. I spoke to them about this before choosing the route i did. At the end of the day it is a choice thing.. For me it was go back to a tried and tested method of braking, not a system that has been riddled with problems.  Sherlocks said to me I had done well to get 50k from this unit, on this model they had seen them fail with as little as 6k on them......