New R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boroboystu

New R1200RT

Post by Boroboystu »

Hello my name is Stuart , this is my first time on here , I have my heart set on a new R1200RT but have been put off a bit by garages saying that they don't stock second hand
BMWs as they are not reliable, I have a few friends with GSs and have always been very happy with them , is there any real truth in the reliability issue when it comes to BMWs ? I've always bought Japanese mainly Hondas and even they have had there problems, I have an 02 Blackbird at present , but do intent to keep it regardless
Stuart
guest2360

Re: New R1200RT

Post by guest2360 »

Where are you?  You have to ask if they don't stock them, how do they know.  Were they trying to sell you something else I wonder.  And the answer is of course not.
BMW themselves have a warranty system for used ones sold through dealers that's available on bikes with a mileage up to 80,000 miles.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BoroBoy has to be from Middlesbrough.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

I had no intention of buying second hand , as I previously said I have my heart set on a new RT and maybe the LE version
I just wanted feed back on the reliability issues
And yes for the record I am from Middlesbrough
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The point is David as dealers are obliged to sell used ones with an extended warranty it says something for their long term reliability.  As you know it's subject to the service history of any bike. Boroboystu though is looking at new and the only place to go for them is a  BM dealer.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

All I want to know realy is are BMW motorcycles as reliable as Japanese ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Of course they are, but it depends who you ask.  Honda man says his is the best so does Suzuki man etc.  At the end of the day though high mileage on a BMW is far less important  on resale than other makes and that says it all.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaygloDavid wrote: BoroBoy has to be from Middlesbrough.

or Scarborough
or Mexborough
or

...but you're probably right!

Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

I have an 02 Honda blackbird and it's on its third Alternator and rectifier it's done approximately 46k so hardly bullet proof
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Boroboystu wrote:And yes for the record I am from Middlesbrough.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

note to self - read OP properly...

:alas:
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Oh - and welcome Stu...

On the reliability point, I've had no real issues with my 2014 RT.  One failed switch and a replaced driving light but no mechanical problems - in fact just the opposite; the bike gets better the more miles it does (11k now).

I know there's a lot of chat and examples of corrosion on newer BMWs - especially GSs, where they seem to replace the whole engine just because it gets dirty!  My sense is that it's less of an issue with the RT and I haven't noticed any kind of issue with mine.  Mind you, I'm too busy riding to look that closely!

Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

Thanks for that Richard
It would appear most of the negative comments I've heard are from the
Anti BMW Crowd and diehard Japanese riders , I've had my fair share of problems with Japanese bikes
So they are definitely not invincible
Think I will wait until early next year now before I buy my new bike
, although I am looking at the LE model are there any tips you can give me of what you find useful and what isnt ? Not that bothered about a hill start
Or the quick shifter but the keyless option might be helpful
Stu
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Only been on a 2014 LE since Jan, but have done over 3k since April. I have no issues with mine, but the warranty is really good, have taken the extended one just in case. No corrosion either. Mine came with every extra plus aux lights, radio and top box. If I was buying new, I would pretty much go for the same spec, possibly without audio, as I don't really use it. Gear shift Pro, really good, hill start only used a few times, but it has been useful. Haven't got keyless. Really pleased with it, aux lights really good at night, I do a lot of night riding as I use my bike for blood biking, so always out in the carp weather!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My LE has everything except the audio and keyless.  I had keyless on my 1600 and was very glad to get rid of it.  All it does is turn the ignition on and off and locks/unlocks the steering.  You still have to dig out the fod to use the central locking and set the alarm if it's not  on auto. On my 1600 I had a flat battery with the steering lock on so was totally stranded.  It also looks like an afterthought sitting high up on the head stock.  It's interesting that on the fully loaded and very expensive Iconic I looked at last week it's not there. If you like your music on the move the audio unit is a good one but the built in Bluetooth system is designed for the BMW headsets and takes a bit of getting round.  If you use a GPS again the bike is designed for the BMW Navigator V and is the only one that works fully with the system.  If you are going to wait until next year to buy would strongly advise against a demo ride now.  It will make for a very long winter.  Also BMW  have a habit on doing their annual price rise in January and they are sure to jump on the Brexit bandwagon.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.