OK - I admit it, I'm tempted...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BMjoe64

Re: OK - I admit it, I'm tempted...

Post by BMjoe64 »

I suspect we have in common that itch every year or so to change. The Caponord took me down to Pecos, Pyrenees and Andorra and was very enjoyble. It had class leading suspension, plenty of other rider aids and was an extremely comfortable machine. I got a bit tired of the roar from the engine when I opened it up and there was a lot of heat from under the seat from the rear cylinder and so when my ride buddy bought a Trophy I got the itch. Also I was a bit concerned with reliabillity. My fuel pipe became disconnected and spewed fuel on one occassion and that focused the mind.

I  had not experienced shaft drive and looked at what was on offer. The RT LC was head and shoulders above the rest. Oddly enough it was also the lightest - I bought a recall model 9 months from new with only 500 miles on the clock and toured the Alps on it last year when it really came into its own. I do about 10,000 miles a year - all social.

I don't have the itch this year but I may have to change because the RT is proving to be a bit heavy following my accident earlier in the year.
Bit it will be a sad day as the RT is the best bike there is.

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

BMjoe64 wrote: I bought a recall model 9 months from new with only 500 miles on the clock and toured the Alps on it last year when it really came into its own. I do about 10,000 miles a year - all social.

I did the same - got what was essentially a brand new, top spec bike at a bargain basement price.  I was extra lucky because it got the best colour too!

;-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yep +1 on that. 549 on mine with a first free service thrown in once the shock was fixed. 
Jimbeem

Post by Jimbeem »

The itch has taken hold, on saturday I fixed up a couple of test rides. Firstly an S1000XR and then an RS1200.
I found the S1XR so different to the RT that it was difficult to decide in the hour I had it for whether I liked it or not - all I will say is that talk of how fast it is at 8000+ revs was lost on me cos I never got it above 6000. The side stand is too short. The clutch lever is non hydraulic but that didn't really matter cos the Pro shift was absolutely amazing. No issue with vibration of bars either. The seat is a tad uncomfortable though and rather high.

The RS12000 is similar to the RT but is a bit lower and sportier. I quite liked it but not enough to warrant change. The jury is still out on the S1XR!!

I got a valuation on my RT - 14 plate with 11300 on the clock - £10,600.

BTW - I am also know as BMjoe64 but can't remember me password.
Last edited by Jimbeem on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Jimbeem wrote: I got a valuation on my RT - 14 plate with 11300 on the clock - £10,600.

Interesting valuation Jim/Joe.

Mine's same plate and same mileage.  What model do you have?  Mine's an LE with audio and all that stuff, so wondering how close the valuations might be.

Mind you, mine is the highly sought-after stealth grey...
Jimbeem

Post by Jimbeem »

Mines also an LE without Audio but with a top box in quartz metallic blue - the figure I was quoted was for both PX or outright purchase.
Cost of bike was £13500 in January 2105 which included NAV 5 which is NOT included in valuation.
Last edited by Jimbeem on Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel

Post by Noel »

What's missing in the lineup is the fully comfort-oriented & performance-oriented ST coming in at around 520lbs.  It's effectively your RT but at 520lbs wet, so might look like this:
  • 115HP coming from a V-twin, triple, quad, whatever.  Aim for smooth or pleasant 'character'.
  • Luggage/fairing somewhere between RT & RS
  • Curb weight 520lbs fully fueled & w/ empty side cases mounte
  • Electric full range wind-screen.  This is where you won't find anything in the current lineup til you get up to RT in weight I believe
  • Belt Drive--I loved it on my F800GT:  clean, zero maintenance, more efficient in power delivery, can be made such that you can get at least 50K out of the belt.  These are also a major weight-reducing strategy.
  • An excellent seat
  • All the tech we currently enjoy in the 14+ RT, and yes add Dynamic Brake Light & ABS Pro.  Leave off the radio to save weight and trim cost.
  • Ergos about like RT would be fine by me
I maintain this fully featured ST which doesn't exist anywhere unless you start losing features, would address the needs of aging boomers who oftentimes have more time to tour, more discretionary funds, and often ride 1-up so don't need the heft of any of the SST's.  As riders age it's often the same cry:  less weight please, but truly, they'd love to have all of the features in the fully featured SSTs, but sadly, no bike currently exists to meet this niche, and I maintain could.  It would take some creativity to get the weight down and likely some increased cost, but very doable I believe.  In fact, the current RS comes close--just get the ergos more neutral, and add the electric screen, shrink the motor/and final drive design to belt, and there you have it.  Can't see BMW doing this as it's too close to RT or RS, but another brand might.  Lots of compromises, but nothing fits this exact configuration which I believe is where the magic lies for the aging boomer.
Last edited by Noel on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

If you build it Noel, they will come...
Noel

Post by Noel »

richardbd wrote: If you build it Noel, they will come...

God knows I've written this post many times in the hope someone in the industry would see it.  Not riding for 28y then getting back on 2y ago I was intimidated by the weight of the modern SST, but having put 13K miles on the RTLC truly it seems like the garage is about the only place the weight matters, and even then it's just not a problem.  I have to park at 90 degrees to fit the bike in but there's nothing to it as the key is just staying in the present.  But I'm tall, flat foot the RTLC, and should be able to stay w/ it as long as health stays good 'nuf.  The above configuration is really the only thing that would tease me away from RTLC as I love the entire package to the point the ONLY thing I would be willing to lose would be the 84lbs. 
Jimbeem

Post by Jimbeem »

An S1000XR engine in an Aprillia Caponord style fairing and seat - that would be my ideal bike. Still considering the S1000XR after 2 test rides am warming to it.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

My RT LC is causing me no end of problems! I've just had to call my insurance company as I usually do about 5K miles per year on my bike and so set the insurance for 6K per year. I bought my RT in March this year and have just passed my 6K so I've had to bump it up to 10K miles. I know I could just leave it in the garage but I just can't keep off the thing. Oh and that means another service to pay for (oh and some tyres),flaming bike one problem after another! ;D
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Last week thought it might be time to look at something with 66 on it.  Found an RS.  3K about less than an LC and apparently nearly 40kg lighter.  Same seat height with a low seat and of course the same engine.
Felt a bit heavy on the arms and the pegs are a bit further back. 
Then I noticed, no luggage, no centre stand, no rear rack, no bodywork (weather protection).  Also does less to the gallon.  Added on all the above and the 40kg was down to 15 and the 3K was down to 1 1/2K.  Long Live the LC.
My mate bought one anyway.  Says it goes well and it's very quiet. Pull up,or push down screen is the same in both positions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.