North California September 2016

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
jeancap_31

North California September 2016

Post by jeancap_31 »

Hello,
Coming teusday, we will board a flight to San Francisco where a BMW RT 1200 LC is expecting us. We will ride northbound on the pacific highway to Washington State then turn East and South. We will follow the Cascade mountain chain and reach Lake Tahoe and spend a week-end in Yosemite.
We will end with 3 rest days in SF.
You can follow us on our blog; it is in french but I will post pictures and itineraries.
You can also look at previous trips (British Columbia, Western States, Europe)
The blog is
http://ringopauljohnandjean.blogspot.fr/
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: North California September 2016

Post by Steve F »

Hello and welcome Jean. Wow! That sounds like a fantastic trip you've got planned there. How many miles and for how many days touring?? :)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Don't forget Hwy 1 in California, also known as the lost coast. Ft Bragg is a good first nights destination after fighting traffic getting out of San franscio
FYI: Oregon State Police love to give performance awards (tickets) watch your speed
Have fun very scenic ride
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

sounds like a great ride...

8)
jeancap_31

Post by jeancap_31 »

We will stick to the coast line road from SF to Ocean Shores (WA) then eastbound for 1 day and south to Yosemite.
We are projecting 2 400 miles (4 000 km) and days activities will be:
transport from to Europe 3 days
rest and visit 4 days
on the bike 11 days.
There is so much to see !
Thanks for your kind wishes and stay tuned.
Is it true that in Oregon you cannot self serve at the gas station ?

MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Watch out for the Bears in Yosemite, they can smell a tasty snack from miles away!

Although in the words of T6Pilot - <<Oregon State Police love to give performance awards (tickets) watch your speed>>&nbsp; so perhaps you should just watch out for 'Bears' all along the route?

Have a great trip.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

jeancap_31 wrote: We will stick to the coast line road from SF to Ocean Shores (WA) then eastbound for 1 day and south to Yosemite.
rest and visit 4 days
on the bike 11 days.
2400 miles in 11 days. That's going some! Anyway, all the very best and have a safe flight and ride!
kajita

Post by kajita »

jeancap_31 wrote: Is it true that in Oregon you cannot self serve at the gas station ?
when i was in Oregon, there were gas attendants outside, and when pull into the lot, i give them my credit card, they usually let me pump myself.&nbsp; i dont know why they do this.... but i guess it nicer for lazy drivers....
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

kajita wrote: i give them my credit card, they usually let me pump myself.&nbsp; i dont know why they do this....

keeps you distracted while they clone your card...

:alas: :alas:
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Oregon, has a very funny law, you are not able to pump your own fuel, unless riding a motorcycle, will say though the girls working in the Ashland shell&nbsp; we stopped at were very cute and friendly👍
Jim
timminator

Post by timminator »

jeancap_31 wrote: We will stick to the coast line road from SF to Ocean Shores (WA) then eastbound for 1 day and south to Yosemite.
rest and visit 4 days
on the bike 11 days.

Yes, that is correct, no self-service gas in Oregon.&nbsp; There is however an exception for motorcycles.&nbsp; Technically, the attendant is supposed to hand you the pump handle, allow you to fuel it, and then the attendant places the handle back. Most places will let bikers do the whole thing themselves, just don't try it in a car, they get pretty feisty about that.&nbsp; It's pretty much the most stupid law on the books anywhere.
Last edited by timminator on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
jeancap_31

Post by jeancap_31 »

hello,
All went well except a GPS Garmin Nav 5 glitch the very first day in San Francisco: it did not show the US map that I had purchased and downloaded in France.
I had used the map to prepare the daily trips on BaseCamp but when I powered on the GPS in San Francisco it only showed the pink line for the road but the rest of the screen was empty ! This could not be tested in live in France since the GPS picks us sattelites and connect position to installed map.
I have contacted Garmin customer services in the US, they were very helpfull and they sent me a link to process a new download and after that it did not have any trouble. They could not find the rootcause though.
The trip was great, the scenery was fantastic; we were lucky to see whales in Portland. I wish I had on more day to beable to shorten daily distances on Pacific coast since we were stopping every 10 miles to shoot pictures. Then went to Mount Rainier, Crater Lake, lake Tahoe, Yosemite and spent 3 days in San Francisco
All picture at [size=12px]http://ringopauljohnandjean.blogspot.fr/[/size][/b][/font]