Seems to be getting harder to get from 1st to 2nd gear

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Gadgetsandwheels

Re: Seems to be getting harder to get from 1st to 2nd gear

Post by Gadgetsandwheels »

Noel wrote: Hang in there I guarantee you it get much much better. Shifting is 100% a non issue for me now and has been quite awhile.
Hi. When you say hang in there it will get much better... What are we hanging in there for?  A period of time or number of miles?  Not sure I understand what you mean.
R1200RT 2015 after previously owning 3 R1200GS bikes.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Is it still under warranty? You should not have to shift at certain revs, preload the gear lever or anything, that's unacceptable. Back to BMW if it was me.

My 2016 clonks into first (bit almost all other brands do that as well), but after that shifts up and down quietly at any revs and any gear. Neutral is also easy to find every time.

The 2017 GS appear to have a clunk free box including going into first judging by early reports. I wonder if parts can be retro-fitted?
Noel

Post by Noel »

Gadgetsandwheels wrote: Hi. When you say hang in there it will get much better... What are we hanging in there for?  A period of time or number of miles?  Not sure I understand what you mean.

My bad, I forgot you have considerable miles on the bike already.  Can you maybe go to a dealer and ask for a test ride of a new RTLC to compare?