Colorado Roads

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
rob08031

Colorado Roads

Post by rob08031 »

My first post here and I just got back from some great riding in my home state, Colorado. I had my 600 mile checkup last Friday and left Tuesday for this ride. I did around 1,000 miles over the previous two days, all on secondary roads except for a 30 mile stretch of I-25. I'm a fan of Butler maps so I used their Colorado map for my route guidance, maybe one day I'll pony up for the GPS.  Day 1 considered of leaving Colorado Springs and once I hit Pueblo, riding US-50 westward until Poncho Springs. I screwed up and did US285 south instead of staying on US50.  I missed some nice riding through the mountains that I'll have to go back to do...  US-160 westbound has some nice curvy roads and I decided to go check out the Four Corners. After a quick stop for the requisite pictures, I spend the night in Durango. Great and interesting town to overnight in.
Today I rode the Million Dollar Highway (US-550) throught Silverton and Ouray up to Montrose. During that stretch I saw some bighorn sheep and some moose, plus helped a guy whose bike fell over when he stopped to take some pictures. In Montrose I took US50 eastbound until I got to around Sapinaro and then got on CO-92 (Blue Mesa ride).  Lots of great corners and mainly had the road to myself. I might have exceeded the speed limit by a mile an hour or two...  At the end of Blue Mesa, road CO 133 up to Carbondale.  That road has some nice curves and had a deer watch me go cruising by, luckily she stayed on the side of the road. Then I did CO-82 through Aspen and Independence Pass. Too much traffic to have fun but the scenery was great. Came back to the Springs via US-24 which has some curves and scenery but it's not like the mountains.
My only complaint is the seat on the bike, everything else worked great. I either need to change out my seat or start wearing some padded biking shorts to see if that helps. I read one of the other posters who runs his bike in hard mode for the twisties, so that's what I used on this ride. The bike stayed planted the entire time.
MacJ

Re: Colorado Roads

Post by MacJ »

I just plotted your ride on Google maps (which is about as close as I'll ever get to actually riding it ) and it looks a great ride. With that distance in the saddle I'm not surprised it was a bit uncomfortable. I have a saddle cover of 15mm Merino sheepskin which I think helps the 'numb-bum' syndrome.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Colorado Roads

Post by timminator »

That is a great looking ride, and welcome to the forum!  I live in the Portland, OR. area, and often do some fun rides through the cascades and coastal range, but they are nothing like the Rockies.  Considering a tour out to Yellowstone next summer with my family, that ought to be fun.  Tim
BMW MOA #210438