New 2016 R1200RT (ex-multistrada) owner here~

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
kajita

New 2016 R1200RT (ex-multistrada) owner here~

Post by kajita »

hi all,

long time rider, new member here

i was just so sick of the high maintenance, prissy my duc mts turned out to be... and so mad at myself for keeping for this long...
mts is a beast of a machine, dont get me wrong, but its just not a fun, touring bike, PERIOD.

so when there was 0.9% apr, promo discount, costco discount, loyalty discount....(about $2500 off) it was a no brainer to trade that sucker in for the new RT.
to be honest, when i walked into the dealer, i saw the pretty shiny 2016 gsa low suspension model and i was drooling.... but i dont go off paved roads enough for me to justify getting one....
and i am a happy camper~
Methos1979

Re: New 2016 R1200RT (ex-multistrada) owner here~

Post by Methos1979 »

Welcome to the gang! You made the right call. The RT is sexy. The GS looks like a toolbox on wheels.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

I went to the Ducati dealer with the sole intention of parting with £20k but rode it and it just did nothing for me and I had the original Multistrada when it first came out, granted it was an ugly beast, not so much after I tinkered with it though.
I still think the new ones look amazing but the ride of the RT does it for me everytime, even riding to work is enjoyable!
O2TheL

Post by O2TheL »

I've owned a Ducati Diavel for 4 years and when looking for a 2nd bike (for touring) I rode the Multi.  I just didn't take to it though.  Rode the RT and loved it straight away.

So now I have a Garage divided - Duc and BMW.
ckreling

Post by ckreling »

I did not know there was a Costco discount on the bikes.  How much was it?  Thanks.
kajita

Post by kajita »

ckreling wrote: I did not know there was a Costco discount on the bikes.  How much was it?  Thanks.
tho some of the discounts (costco, bmw loyalty) discounts ended on 8/31/2016 here in North America BMW, it was quite significant.
i think the costco dc was about $750 for the RT, my friend who grab the GSA got $950 off for being a costco member.
i didnt know costco has these affiliation with lot of automotive companies... and they honored the bmw bikes as well.
kajita

Post by kajita »

Gman1969 wrote: I went to the Ducati dealer with the sole intention of parting with £20k but rode it and it just did nothing for me and I had the original Multistrada when it first came out, granted it was an ugly beast, not so much after I tinkered with it though.
I still think the new ones look amazing but the ride of the RT does it for me everytime, even riding to work is enjoyable!
my multi gave me big smiles ripping thru canyons and blasting by my friends on their GS.....
but when riding on long (1, 2, 3000 mile trips) rides with buddies, it was a bitch on unpaved roads....
my ultimate reason for getting rid of the multi was the fuel consumption...
on a 5.5 gallon tank, i got about 175 miles on a good day, which is horse sh*t....
if i babied it, i can prob get about 190 (80% frwy), if i gun it thru canyons mixed with some frwy i get about 150 miles...
and my multi was bare bone stock.... no fuel mapping.
in the past, i had a 2007 k1200gt, and i rode the sh*t out of that beast, and i got good mpg.... and when i complained about this on the ducati forum, all i got was "who cares about mpg" and "go back to bmw then"..... so i did~
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I recently did a reasonably long tour in the company of a new multi Enduro.  He had a range of about 300 miles.  Downside was it looked like it had been built in plant factory, made a GSA look like a toy.
kajita

Post by kajita »

RTman10 wrote: I recently did a reasonably long tour in the company of a new multi Enduro.  He had a range of about 300 miles.
with the new 7.9 gallon tank, im sure thats what the range will say.... and im fairly sure it WILL get 300 miles if ur cruising 75mph on them knobbys.... but if u slap on some road tires and rip it thru canyons and frwy, i doubt it will get 300...
i feel like a grumpy old man just hating on the MTS...
but other than the poor fuel consumption, its a fun, light, flickable beast...
who knows, if my mts got same mpg as the regular GS, i may still be riding that thing....

* two of my buddies were laughing their asses off sitting on their GSA when i had to gas up twice while they still had about 70 miles showing on their range.... >:(