Enclosed Trailering multiple bikes...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mbro

Enclosed Trailering multiple bikes...

Post by mbro »

Hi folks.  I've been teaching a friend of mine how to ride bikes.  He has never ridden street before and doesn't have his license yet, so we are starting from square 1 - slow speed control, building confidence, working on the finer points of riding and getting comfortable in a controlled setting.  We are talking about trailering bikes (my RT and his bike - coincidentally my old bike that I sold him for $1 so he could plate, insure and register it, and will sell it back to me when he's ready for something else) to the west coast.  We are in Edmonton (Canada), and talking about riding Vancouver island this fall - about 1000km, provided he gets sufficient seat time and builds appropriate control, comfort and confidence. 

Because my friend hasn't ridden long distances, we are thinking about trailering the bikes instead of riding them.  I would ride the distance, personally, but he isn't ready for that and I know it.  We would be doing 100-200km per day on the island...  Ride a bit, stop see some sights, that kind of thing.  A relaxed pace.  My question to you is about loading two bikes into an enclosed trailer.  He's got a very nice trailer, about 8 feet long, and I'm wanting to ensure both bikes are stable and nothing gets damaged if we decide to do this trip.  My RT obviously has a centre stand.  Should it be on the centre stand, or supported only by tie-down straps?  His bike (my old bike) is a Suzuki SV650s, no centre stand, but I do have a rear stand.  Should it be put up on the rear stand in the trailer?  I've seen videos about tying down a bike in the back of a pickup truck, and never is the centre stand used.  I'm a bit worried about movement in the trailer, and bikes bumping into eachother.  There are no wheel chocks in the trailer (yet),but of course this could be fabricated if we felt the need.  I would for sure be dismounting the side cases, top box, and putting the windshield down on my bike, and his bike has soft saddlebags that would be dismounted as well. 

What are your thoughts about the best way to approach loading two bikes in an enclosed trailer?  Any experience doing exactly this?  Lessons learned?  Things to avoid or to not do?  I'm interested in anything you have to contribute.

Thanks!

Last edited by mbro on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Enclosed Trailering multiple bikes...

Post by T6pilot »

No center or side stand, front wheel stand is a very big plus
Follow directions in manual for each bike tying down
I personnely do not like enclosed trailers no room to move around when loading or unloading bike
Quality straps and you shouldn't have a problem
Jim
mbro

Post by mbro »

Why no use of the centre stand?  I did a read through the rider's manual for the RT, and there is no published instructions or guidance on mounting points for tie-down straps.  Any experience or advice in this area?  I've seen videos that suggest straps to the sprung weight (not the wheels) - typically this is the lower triple trees on a bike with telescopic forks in the front.  The SV has very sturdy passenger peg brackets that I have used in the past, but have not trailer mounted my RT. 

I did find this post:  http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=335131  and  http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/5 ... .html  [size=78%]which does help paint a good picture...  [/size]
Last edited by mbro on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Page 93-94 of US manual shows proper points for tying bike down, trailering with bike on center stand puts to much stress on stand, safer to have weight on wheels and let bikes suspension work
I use quality tie downs, sometimes doubling number used, after you get bike settled and have driven a few miles a recheck is done
A motorcycle specific trailer is a big plus, My dealer uses a kendon trailer for pickup and deliveries, it is the best way to transport bikes
Watch Utube for bike trailering failures
Jim
mbro

Post by mbro »

Aha - I spotted that section!  I have a digital PDF copy of the manual, and it shows on page 84 or 85 under "preparing for transport"...  Good advice and guidance.  Thanks!