Fuel Stabilizer

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Fuel Stabilizer

Post by T6pilot »

Depending on where you live determines the quality of the gas you get, in California we're blessed with 10% junk and a host of or their crappy additives. Fuel left for over 4 months changes color and smell
Stabil marine grade (purple) has been the go to cure for many cars, bikes and boats that get laid up for the winter.
Jim
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

My dealership puts K100 in all of their bikes and swears by it.  Not sure if it's available in all areas.  I also try to burn "Clear" gasoline, which is alcohol free premium grade, but double to triple the price of premium at any other station.
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

smileymiley wrote: +1

Some of the very best riding days are found during the winter months. Having never laid my bikes up for the winter, I can confirm they do not shrink when wet  :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

timminator wrote:My dealership puts K100 in all of their bikes and swears by it.
Which K100 fuel treatment do they use & why, http://k-100.com/
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Found this on a BMW Motorrad site, STA-BIL Concentrated Fuel Stabilizer 4 oz
STA-BIL products are available in the UK, http://sta-bil.co.uk/
timminator

Post by timminator »

DaygloDavid wrote: Which K100 fuel treatment do they use & why, http://k-100.com/

The red bottle, K100-MG.  The other thing the mechanic at BMW told me is that if you use stabil, it will work fine, but you have to be careful to not use too much.  It can tend to build up if people use it continuously, because the tank is never quite empty when they re-fill and add another dose.  With the K100 it doesn't matter if it gets too concentrated, the more you use the better (within reason).

i'm sure either product is fine, mostly boils down to personal preference.  The important thing is to use *something* to stabilize fuel if it's going to sit for more than a couple months.
Last edited by timminator on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Do the dealers use K100 as a fuel system treatment (as part of a service) whilst the bike is in use, or when they are stood for sale.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Do the dealers use K100 as a fuel system treatment (as part of a service) whilst the bike is in use, or when they are stood for sale.

Not a chance.  And the advise of BMW Motorrad is not to ever use any fuel additives .  It would also seem the quality of fuel in UK is better than the US.
timminator

Post by timminator »

DaygloDavid wrote: Do the dealers use K100 as a fuel system treatment (as part of a service) whilst the bike is in use, or when they are stood for sale.

They told me they "put it in all of their bikes", which I understood to mean when they are stood for sale.  I'm not implying that BMW Motorrad recommends K100, I am talking about my particular dealer.

I use K100 each time I fill up, but at a lower dosage than what's recommend.  The bottle says .5oz/gal, so it would take about 3.5 oz for a fill.  I generally put in 2oz at each fill.  Beyond extending the life of the fuel, it has some added benefits (if you believe the bottle). Preventing phase separation of ethanol blended fuel (which we have in US), eliminating water in fuel, and keeps injectors clean.
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Reading the K100 website blurb, it would suggest that K100-G is for regular fuel system treatment while the bike is in use & K100-MG is more a stabilizer aimed at bikes that are laid up.
timminator

Post by timminator »

DaygloDavid wrote: Reading the K100 website blurb, it would suggest that K100-G is for regular fuel system treatment while the bike is in use & K100-MG is more a stabilizer aimed at bikes that are laid up.

I think you are right, but they were selling the MG at the dealer so that's what I bought.  If you compare the features in this table it looks like the G and MG are nearly identical, with MG adding the fuel stabilization.  [size=78%]http://k-100.com/fuel-type/gas/[/size]
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Motorrad Fuel Additive, http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/p/FUEL- ... 13341.html

"Motorcycle: Add 1 oz. per gallon of gasoline to a full tank when refuelling."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Suspect this is US produced as it doesn't show in real OEM.  Just comes up as not specified . Label on the bottle also suggests it's an over the pond thing. 
timminator

Post by timminator »

DaygloDavid wrote: BMW Motorrad Fuel Additive, http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/p/FUEL-ADDITIVE/46940541/82140413341.html

"Motorcycle: Add 1 oz. per gallon of gasoline to a full tank when refuelling."

The dealership also gave me a small bottle of BMW brand Injector cleaner and instructed me to use the entire bottle at the 3000mi mark.  I believe it is this exact product.
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

Could fuel stabilizer be the next "oil" thread?  It's about time we got some new controversy started!  :beee:
BMW MOA #210438