AIRFLOW DISASTER

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest2360

AIRFLOW DISASTER

Post by guest2360 »

For UK it's Hot today.  Bike says 29.5C.  So for the first time this year I dug out all my Airflow kit, jacket, trouders, gloves and boots.  In fact everything except the dumb helmet.  Just had a very nice 90 mile run in the Peaks only to discover that the two rubber toe cap protectors on the boots have disintigrated. A check inside shows a production date of 2000.  Only 16 years old and falling apart.  Will try a goodwill claim with BMW tomorrow.  I'm gutted everything except the gloves is the same age and as good as new.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falconmick

Re: AIRFLOW DISASTER

Post by falconmick »

Are 'tow' caps similar to toe caps? (lol sorry)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

falconmick wrote: Are 'tow' caps similar to toe caps? (lol sorry)
Just goes to show how distressed I am over the whole thing. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

falconmick wrote: Are 'tow' caps similar to toe caps? (lol sorry)

No, they are BMW special ones  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
No, they are BMW special ones  :)

I blame my keyboard.  Somebody has put the e right next to the w. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

RTman10 wrote: For UK it's Hot today.  Bike says 29.5C.  So for the first time this year I dug out all my Airflow kit, jacket, trouders, gloves and boots.  In fact everything except the dumb helmet.  Just had a very nice 90 mile run in the Peaks only to discover that the two rubber toe cap protectors on the boots have disintigrated. A check inside shows a production date of 2000.  Only 16 years old and falling apart.  Will try a goodwill claim with BMW tomorrow.  I'm gutted everything except the gloves is the same age and as good as new.
[/quote

And I thought you guys only had rain gear😎
SIDI makes some hot weather boots, BMW has jacket, pants and gloves, not sure how much use you'll get out of them though
Kinda like our rain gear here in California, hardly ever needed unless you leave it home
Jim
guest2360

AIRFLOW DISASTER

Post by guest2360 »

Not giving up,on the boots, the rest of them have years left in them.  I'll find some new rubber . That's if BMW won't give me a new pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

For the disintegration of the rubber, this could be related.

We were able to acquire a set of Belgian army boots, just before they went tactical, for my wife.  The heels also had rubber in between the real heel, and the bottom of the foot well.

My wife was not able to wear them for 3 years or so.  When she did we noticed the rubber was crumbling.  After a quick search on Google - it appears that some sort of rubbers this is common.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: For UK it's Hot today.  Bike says 29.5C.  So for the first time this year I dug out all my Airflow kit, jacket, trouders, gloves and boots.  In fact everything except the dumb helmet.  Just had a very nice 90 mile run in the Peaks only to discover that the two rubber toe cap protectors on the boots have disintigrated. A check inside shows a production date of 2000.  Only 16 years old and falling apart.  Will try a goodwill claim with BMW tomorrow.  I'm gutted everything except the gloves is the same age and as good as new.

I splashed out on a pair of non-Goretex Daytona boots. They were no doubt cooler than the Goretex ones, but my feet were still hot in those temperatures. I definietey do not fit into the BMW Airflow boots and I could not find anywhere local that stocked the Sidi ventilated ones.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Big feet ah.  Airflow go up to size 12 if not more.

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: Big feet ah.  Airflow go up to size 12 if not more.

Size 44 Airflow too small and 45 too large. What is weird is the the non-Goretex Daytona Roadstar 44 had a much looser fit than a similar size Travelstar, so an insole is required.

Go figure, as they say across the pond....
John Bentall