Used stock shocks

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Galuois

Used stock shocks

Post by Galuois »

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2005 RT with only 6,200 miles, a beautiful, well maintained bike, with only one owner. The guy had it lowered at BMW dealership where they installed brand new Wilbers front and rear struts. The height of the bike does not bother me for now, although being 5'11 (1,80 mts) I would rather have it at normal factory height.

However, I have noticed that the front shock has very little travel, probably half as much when compared to a stock version. And they have bottomed or topped out when going over big bumps or potholes. FIRST QUESTION: Has anybody have the same experience with Wilbers shocks? Is there a way to increase the travel?

I took it to BMW dealership, thinking that this could probably be solved by adjusting the damping on the front shock. According to them, that's not the case, and they suggest to install either OEM shocks or similar, which brand new w/ installation would be almost $ 3K. I paid $ 5.5K for the bike, so it doesn't make much sense, money-wise. The BMW service manager suggested that I could probably find used original shocks at a less than half the price of new ones, which is true. SECOND QUESTION: Has anyone done it before? If so, did you have good luck with second-hand shocks?

Thanks in advance!

guest2360

Re: Used stock shocks

Post by guest2360 »

As you presumably bought the bike from the original owner maybe he still has the original shocks in his loft.  If your bike originally had ESA it's must have had some serious surgery to swap and going back won't be easy.  Is there not other after market suppliers you could go to.  In the UK there is a firm called Hagon who make them for BMW bikes. Not sure if they export.  I'm not sure you are going to find many second hand ones.  If your bike did not originally have ESA and many early ones didn't there will be very few left by now.
Oldgoat

Post by Oldgoat »

Having failed to resolve the non-functioning ESA on my 2005 RT using my GS911, or by (expensive) attempts by the local BMW dealer, I replaced the ESA suspension units with a pair of standard OE units, bought from a breaker in Odessa,  Florida (Sun Coast Cycle Sports). They came from a 2005 bike with just 25k miles, so they are out there. Both units are like new and I’ve not regretted fitting them for a moment. My bike does not have audio so I was able to remove the bulky redundant ESA switch holder from the left-hand bar. I taped up the suspension unit wiring connectors and job done. Cost was £164.89 for parts and shipping plus £40.67 UK customs duties. Keep checking on eBay.
Galuois

Post by Galuois »

The model is actually the one without ESA, so I suppose that's a blessing. @rtman10, the previous owner does not the originals. @oldgoat I have searched the web for the shocks on eBay and I did find some used units coming from bikes that had 20 - 40 k miles on them.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
mbro

Post by mbro »

You might want to call Beemer Boneyard and see if they have a set of non-ESA hexhead shocks.  They are in the US (not sure which side of the big pond you are on).  I don't know if Beemer boneyard ships internationally or not, but its worth an ask.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

(not sure which side of the big pond you are on). 

The flag's a bit of a give away.
Galuois

Post by Galuois »

I wasn't able to find original used shocks of a bike with less than 10k miles. So I decided to make the investment and get Ohlins' model for the RT. It went from night to day! What a difference in handling and comfort. Look much travel the front fork has with the new shock.

And now I got a pair of Wilbers with 6000 miles for sale. Anyone interested in lowering his bike? :)

BEFORE

AFTER

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk