Triumph trophy SE

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Triumph trophy SE

Post by guest2360 »

Every RT from the 1100 up to the LC is the same. You have to drop the gearbox and shaft to get to the clutch.  That problem is now in the past.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Had a friend whose RT clutch went out around Vegas. The shops did not know what to do. He got on an RT forum and got info on a pattern of malignant clutch parts that where going out on the clutch. He went to a shop, explained, they order the part and he was on his way with no further problem.

Amazing how many times, owner have solutions and diagnosis of mech problems which the Corp deaf ears don't get.

I bet that was the same with the gent, with the clutch problem
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I have just traded my Trophy SE of 2 1/2 years in and so my thoughts are below

Yes it is slightly heavier but perfectly balanced when on the move so you really only notice it off the bike moving it round, or putting it on the centre stand.

The fairing and screen as standard with the low seat was perfect I had no wind at all with it on high, and the audio and speakers were good with volume adjust automatically as yoour speeds increases. I believe on the BM you have to set that.

The fairing cubby hole has a usb port and a power port and was large enough for me to put mp iphone 6 plus in with a charger to play music through the stereo. The BMW's are a bit small and snug and with the ipod adapter quite messy in the right cubby with only enough room for an old ipod touch.

The Top box on the Trophy also has a power port and is easier to remove but there is no central locking and the topbox lid has little webbing straps to restrict it opening all the way and after 2 years gave up the ghost so I do like the struts in the BM's.

The engine was a turbine and quite powerful and the charcteristic of the triple is different compared to the boxer twin and a four cyclinder.  Service intervals were 9000 miles or yearly. Tank range was impressive and the wife really enjoyed the space and comfort of the pillion seat. She  feels the BM you are a bit closer to the rider.

Overall I never had and problems with the bike apart from batteries in the TPMS sensors . Was reliable and never missed a beat and it came down to either replacing it with another Trophy or a change for the RT. I chose the RT on this occiasion but I never had any regrets on owning one

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Good balanced review. Think they are both great bikes, think its just down to personal preference. Although there is a strong rumour that the Trophy is being discontinued, not sure if they are going to replace it with another ST. I have usb and a cig lighter socket in my top box, not sure if that was an after market fit, as I bought my bike used.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Hi no that is standard in the powered topbox but like the BM the topbox is the only part of the luggage that is not standard
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: I have just traded my Trophy SE of 2 1/2 years in and so my thoughts are below

Yes it is slightly heavier but perfectly balanced when on the move so you really only notice it off the bike moving it round, or putting it on the centre stand.

My test-ride started and rapidly finished with putting it onto the centre-stand!

From what I have read, I believe you will find the RT a revelation when tackling mountain passes.
John Bentall
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: I have just traded my Trophy SE of 2 1/2 years in and so my thoughts are below

The fairing and screen as standard with the low seat was perfect I had no wind at all with it on high, and the audio and speakers were good with volume adjust automatically as yoour speeds increases. I believe on the BM you have to set that.

The fairing cubby hole has a usb port and a power port and was large enough for me to put mp iphone 6 plus in with a charger to play music through the stereo. The BMW's are a bit small and snug and with the ipod adapter quite messy in the right cubby with only enough room for an old ipod touch.

The Top box on the Trophy also has a power port and is easier to remove but there is no central locking and the topbox lid has little webbing straps to restrict it opening all the way and after 2 years gave up the ghost so I do like the struts in the BM's.

The engine was a turbine and quite powerful and the charcteristic of the triple is different compared to the boxer twin and a four cyclinder.  Service intervals were 9000 miles or yearly. Tank range was impressive and the wife really enjoyed the space and comfort of the pillion seat. She  feels the BM you are a bit closer to the rider.

Overall I never had and problems with the bike apart from batteries in the TPMS sensors . Was reliable and never missed a beat and it came down to either replacing it with another Trophy or a change for the RT. I chose the RT on this occiasion but I never had any regrets on owning one

Good commentary, agreed on all points.  I don't have nearly as much experience on the Trophy as you do, but I have logged a few hundred miles on a 2015 version.  I think in the end, by most measures, the Trophy is closer to the K1600 than the R1200RT.  The weight is closer to the K16, the engine is smooth like the K class, and the handlebars are set back in a similar fashion.  It's a good bike, I just don't think it's in the same category as the RT.
BMW MOA #210438
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Never tried the 1600 so will take your word for it