only a mile to the coop
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel reserve

Post by David. »

futterweasel wrote:I got down to one mile left on the range gauge.
How much fuel did you put in and/or how much was left in the tank.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Sorry I don't know I was just happy to find some (not knowing there might still be some in the tank), This weekend I will run the bike out of fuel having reset the trip when the range shows zero, I hate not knowing, I'll post the results.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

futterweasel wrote: Sorry I don't know I was just happy to find some (not knowing there might still be some in the tank),This weekend I will run the bike out of fuel having reset the trip when the range shows zero, I hate not knowing, I'll post the results.

Good man, take one for the boys  8)
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I suppose the way to really find out is to put a gallon can in the topbox then see how far you go after the computer says no until it starts spluttering, then put the gallon in from the can. My last fill up said 18 miles left but I could only get 21 litres or so in.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I have done 50 miles after readout said zero miles remaining.  I remember having 0.3 litres left in tank. Scary thought having to push it if the next fuel stop was also closed
R1250RT LE
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

daverj wrote: Scary thought having to push it if the next fuel stop was also closed
Definately not an option !!. When our Hexhead stopped as described in my post above we where in sight of the Petrol Station so it was about 200 yards away. Very strenuous task in full riding clobber. I never realised before that there was a "hill" at that particular location until we pushed the bike to reach the forecourt.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Rode the bike till range said zero reset trip counter 24.6 miles later bike spluttered to a halt, most of those miles were done at 60 to 80 mph about five miles at 50 mph and five miles at 30 mph after adding 4.5 litres from the can range went to 36 miles so tomorrow night I will carry on and see when it runs out this time!     
mbro

Post by mbro »

I did something similar earlier this year.  I ran it to the "0 kms range" was shown, and it was another 40 or so KMs to the next fuel station.  When I filled it, I put in 24.8L or something around there.  Nice to know there's a bit of a cushion.

guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

Just yesterday I pulled into the station with the meter sayning that I had 21 miles left.
Put in 5.95 gal (25.5 l). Typical of most bikes that I have owned. The fuel gauges are
far from accurate. Luckily most err on the side of caution.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mbro wrote:When I filled it, I put in 24.8L.
Skeezix wrote:Put in 5.95 gal (25.5 l).
Both these examples suggest that the "usable fuel capacity" is greater than that quoted in the Rider's Manuals, i.e. 25 l.
futterweasel wrote:Rode the bike till range said zero reset trip counter 24.6 miles later bike spluttered to a halt.
Would be interesting to know what quantity of fuel can be added when the bike runs out & stops.
Last edited by David. on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

futterweasel wrote:Rode the bike till range said zero reset trip counter 24.6 miles later bike spluttered to a halt, adding 4.5 litres from the can.
Did the bike restart easily after adding the fuel from the can.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

DaygloDavid wrote: Would be interesting to know what quantity of fuel can be added when the bike runs out & stops.
So would I.. Can you test it for me and report back  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On a recent tour I had a GSA with me who had a 5L can of fuel strapped to the side of his top box.  As he had a 33L capacity tank it just shows its not only RT owners who are paranoid about their fuel reserve. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

My favourite RT fuel story is of a mate with a (then) new TC. 

It cut out as he was doing 70mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway.  He coasted to the inside, dismounted, checked everything he could think of but to no avail, so he called BMW recovery.

The guy asked "does it have any fuel in it?".  Jeff said, "yes - the computer says it's good for 80 more miles."  The guy replied "no, no - does it have any fuel in it??"

Moral of the story - NEVER believe the computer...

;)