Holding in first gear

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
blokeonthemove

Re: Holding in first gear

Post by blokeonthemove »

I do the same as DS99, using the kill switch and leaving the bike in 1st, kinda used to it from SWMBO's Z4 which has stop / start. Hendon shuffle became redundant with linked braking. Although I think that was tongue in cheek!
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I drop it into neutral more since having the hill assist or whatever its called.  Seems to make sense because then you can let go completely without the bike rolling away.  Really useful for me, but then maybe its my age needing to rest/stretch a bit more.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Do you use the ignition switch or the kill switch,/viewtopic.php?t=8

Well, I use the kill switch but...I am referring to my old 600 Transalp, as i do not use my RT in london (too big). I would probably use the key on the RT as this cuts the power to all the heated things and lights, which will drain the battery in no time.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ds99 wrote:I would probably use the key on the RT as this cuts the power to all the heated things and lights, which will drain the battery in no time.
The heated grips & seats, plus the headlight are only switched on when the engine is running.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote: Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I always put it in neutral.

Me too - and the IAM teach that approach.  Mechanical sympathy and all that...