Top box

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Top box

Post by richardbd »

I know my view on this one won't be popular but...

I think the RT looks WAY better with panniers and no top box - OEM or otherwise.  Just occasionally I find myself compelled to use my small (28l) box but I try to avoid being seen by anybody that might recognise me.

The whole debate between the colossally ugly and stupidly expensive BMW box (colour-coded or otherwise) and some cheap, after-market, colossally ugly affordable alternative seems to miss the point to me.

If I'd wanted a Goldwing, I'd have bought a Goldwing...

:)) :))
timminator

Post by timminator »

richardbd wrote: I know my view on this one won't be popular but...

I think the RT looks WAY better with panniers and no top box - OEM or otherwise.  Just occasionally I find myself compelled to use my small (28l) box but I try to avoid being seen by anybody that might recognise me.

The whole debate between the colossally ugly and stupidly expensive BMW box (colour-coded or otherwise) and some cheap, after-market, colossally ugly affordable alternative seems to miss the point to me.

If I'd wanted a Goldwing, I'd have bought a Goldwing...

:) ) :) )

+1 on that.  I only put it on when I am traveling for an overnight stay and need the space.  Thank goodness it's an easy on/off operation.
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

timminator wrote:
+1 on that.  I only put it on when I am traveling for an overnight stay and need the space.  Thank goodness it's an easy on/off operation.

I'd Fedex my luggage before being seen in public, looking like a pizza delivery boy...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have only ever used the 28l box on the LC.  It's not pretty but it's nowhere near as ugly as the big one.  It stays on most if the time just for the convenience of storing your helmet and bits more easily than in the side panniers. It also has nil effect on the bike whereas the 48l with stuff in does.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I presume you all ride solo then, either that or don't give a toss about you pillion  :)

I've rode thousands of miles with the top box on, loaded or otherwise and never felt anything different in the way the bike handles, other than weight of course!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DaveCly wrote: I presume you all ride solo then, either that or don't give a toss about you pillion  :)

I've rode thousands of miles with the top box on, loaded or otherwise and never felt anything different in the way the bike handles, other than weight of course!
[/quote

I always use the top box when my other half is on the bike, she likes the backrest, it is also really good for carrying luggage. When she is not on the bike, I tend to not use it. But I think its a really useful piece of kit
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

DaveCly wrote: I presume you all ride solo then, either that or don't give a toss about you pillion  :)

Yep - solo-only.  Pillions make the bike look even more untidy than the pizza delivery box!

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Solo now but until last year always 2 up..  In fact in 2011 on a tour to Germany we used the very same 28l box on a 1600GTL.