New 2017 gearbox clunk free.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
fatnfast

Re: New 2017 gearbox clunk free.

Post by fatnfast »

That's a good point about the early bikes. The 2013 gs had some problems with the clutch not properly disengaging, which was addressed with modifications. I'm not sure if the heavier flywheel would make much difference though?  Later standard gs's had the same heavier flywheel as the RTs/GSAs, from models sold mid 2014 onwards I think.
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

I'm a new Forum member and potentially new 2016 R1200RT owner. As I've been researching the RT for months, I continue to run into articles, forums, etc. with same issue - tranny clunk!  Having no prior experience with RT's or BMW's for that matter, (1) how serious is this clunk, (2) what causes the clunk, (3) why hasn't BMW fixed the clunk?  I'm within one week of going to my local dealer and buying an RT. The more I find about the clunk, the more I wonder if the RT is the bike for me to purchase?  If the RT is such an iconic bike, why can't BMW eliminate the "clunk"?  I realize I'm asking these question out of ignorance. Appreciate your replies.
Keep The Faith!
wethead

Post by wethead »

Try the Yamahoo FJR.  If u can tolerate the high pitch vibration on the throttle side and u like more of a crotch-rocket feel u will spend less money, lower maintenance costs and have a great and fast bike.

They come with a sixth gear nowadays.

The RT is not the god's answer to motorcycle like some believe. This is my fourth one, but I can see people preferring other touring bikes.

If u are gonna do a lot of slab with passenger  the Goldwing is best.

Assess your needs and riding style, do your homework and get the bike that fits u
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rudy G. Bristow wrote: I'm a new Forum member and potentially new 2016 R1200RT owner. As I've been researching the RT for months, I continue to run into articles, forums, etc. with same issue - tranny clunk!  Having no prior experience with RT's or BMW's for that matter, (1) how serious is this clunk, (2) what causes the clunk, (3) why hasn't BMW fixed the clunk?  I'm within one week of going to my local dealer and buying an RT. The more I find about the clunk, the more I wonder if the RT is the bike for me to purchase?  If the RT is such an iconic bike, why can't BMW eliminate the "clunk"?  I realize I'm asking these question out of ignorance. Appreciate your replies.

Apparently the clunk is fixed with 2017 models. But in all reality who cares about tranny clunk, If you want tranny clunk try riding a Harley. The clunk has no impact on performance, handling and long distance comfort, which is what its all about. Having ridden bikes for over 40 years, gearbox clunks are not an issue. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, if you can't stand the clunk buy something else. Ride one and decide.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Rudy G. Bristow wrote: I'm a new Forum member and potentially new 2016 R1200RT owner. As I've been researching the RT for months, I continue to run into articles, forums, etc. with same issue - tranny clunk! Having no prior experience with RT's or BMW's for that matter, (1) how serious is this clunk, (2) what causes the clunk, (3) why hasn't BMW fixed the clunk? I'm within one week of going to my local dealer and buying an RT. The more I find about the clunk, the more I wonder if the RT is the bike for me to purchase? If the RT is such an iconic bike, why can't BMW eliminate the "clunk"? I realize I'm asking these question out of ignorance. Appreciate your replies.
Wetheads up to 2016 seem to all clunk into first. It's not much different to lots of other bikes out there, Japanese included.
The early 1200gs bikes had issues with crunchy gear changes (first 3) and a clutch that didn't fully release. But, even then they did not all succumb to poor gear change. BMW did modify the clutch and there are plenty of rumours stating that reducing the oil level to halfway down the sight glass improved matters.
The RT was released a year later in 2014. I can't recall any clutch drag issues being mentioned, but the clunk into first is still present.
The 2017 models, released August 2016, have some revisions to the clutch/gears. It is supposed to address the clunks, but from what I have read it is better, but not massively. One report indicates no difference in gear changes compared to a 2015 machine. That doesn't mean the gearshift is still poor, it isn't and for the majority never was, it just likes to make you aware that a gear has been selected :-).
I bought a 2016 model knowing about the upcoming changes and got a great discount with lots of extras also thrown in. Gear changes are all good. It clunks into first. A guy I was training yesterday was riding a Kawasaki Versys. His shift into first out-clunked my bike.
The easy answer would be to ride both, but try to forget about what you have read about the gearbox (I kmow, it was me who started this thread!) Its an impressive bike.
No gearboxes have exploded yet.
I'm off to register on a Kawasaki Versys forum. I will soon get them panicking about their gearbox when, like mine, there is nothing wrong :-) .
Last edited by fatnfast on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The LC gearbox is smooth with no false neutrals and with Pro shift lightning fast.  Any gearbox connected to a shaft is going to let you know its there but most of us have forgotten about it. Now all you lot that have had a GW will tell me different. Their clunk is just hidden under the extra 1/2 ton.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

I've been riding RTs since 2000.  I"m afraid, things have improved ... a bit, but BMW gearboxes are leagues behind the Japanese.  Trust me, I've owned both and the clunkiness of BMW gearboxes is something you just have to get used to.  It seems to be an engineering problem BMW just can't seem to solve.

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Nobby wrote: I've been riding RTs since 2000.  I"m afraid, things have improved ... a bit, but BMW gearboxes are leagues behind the Japanese.  Trust me, I've owned both and the clunkiness of BMW gearboxes is something you just have to get used to.  It seems to be an engineering problem BMW just can't seem to solve.

But is it a fair comparison?

What about BMW chain-driven bikes v UJB chain-driven and BMW shaft-driven v UJB shaft driven?

wethead

Post by wethead »

Nobby wrote: I've been riding RTs since 2000.  I"m afraid, things have improved ... a bit, but BMW gearboxes are leagues behind the Japanese.  Trust me, I've owned both and the clunkiness of BMW gearboxes is something you just have to get used to.  It seems to be an engineering problem BMW just can't seem to solve.

I be willing to bet is not a "CAN'T SOLVE" problem as much as a "I $$ dont $$ want $$ to $$ Problem" if you get my drift here.

ain't that always the bottom line.

so then the question that begs itself is: how come the Japanese bike can $$ and still be less expensive? To which I would not doubt if the answer is: Cause the Japanese exploit the work-labor force more than the Germans.

But the bottom line is still unchanged ain't it?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

Appreciate all of your recommendations and opinions. Wethead recommended a Gold Wing. I have and will be retiring/replacing the 2006 GW, "The Sofa" with the new bike I seek to purchase. The Sofa is too heavy for me to continue wrestling. I never have nor will I ever own an H-D. Kawa's and Yama's aren't of much interest. Other contemporary Honda models aren't of much interest. My field has been narrowed down to the GSA and RT. I personally like the GSA and the riding style options the GSA offers. I live approximately 3-hrs ride due south of The Tail Of The Dragon and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. The secondary roads in north Georgia, coastal Georgia and the mountain regions of North and South Carolina offer great riding. My intended use is weekday commuting and weekend sorties to the mountains or coast. I expect to ride 1-up 75% of the time. The obvious course of action is to attend the Demo Days at my local dealer later in a few days and ride both the RT and GSA. Nothing like first hand experience.  It's just that I come across so much information highlighting the "clunk" in the RT, that it obviously gave me a concern. Appreciate everyone's recommendations.     
Keep The Faith!
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

richardbd wrote: Boys, time to stop whining about the gear box.
+1 on that count :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed,  it's just a small alert telling you you have selected first and that's it. The box is a joy to use, highly reliable and with Pro shift a hoot.
cdnrtowner

Post by cdnrtowner »

I have been riding for 46+ years. I have owned 2 Yamahas, 3 Hondas, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Suzuki and now have an 2016 RT. I have never owned a bike that did not "clunk" into first. None of these bikes ever had clutch or tranmission problems. My friend has an massively loud "clunk" into first Harley. Perhaps an electric, automatic tranmission bike would be the answer for someone serious about "clunk" free! ;) 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have owned a clunk free bike. It was a twist and go 125 Honda @.  Never doing that again.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Wot?  No clunk?  T'aint natural.