New 2017 gearbox clunk free.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boroboystu

Re: New 2017 gearbox clunk free.

Post by Boroboystu »

I have a 2002 Honda Blackbird and it always clunks into first gear , in fact all of my bikes albeit Japanese have clunked into first gear
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's it them.  All bikes clunk, except of course my long gone scoot but that didn't have a gearbox.
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Yes I've taken delivery of a new 2017 RT and the gear box is infinitely smoother up and down. You will still get the clunk when the engine is warm but not when its cold.  I find the bike to be smoother all round over the previous 2014 I had.  I am very impressed with it.  You can always put it into 1st before you start the engine, but that puts an extra load on the starter motor and the battery.  Better to put up with the clunk like everyone else on all other bikes
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Bikerman1042 wrote: Yes I've taken delivery of a new 2017 RT and the gear box is infinitely smoother up and down. You will still get the clunk when the engine is warm but not when its cold.  I find the bike to be smoother all round over the previous 2014 I had.  I am very impressed with it.  You can always put it into 1st before you start the engine, but that puts an extra load on the starter motor and the battery.  Better to put up with the clunk like everyone else on all other bikes

With a  wet clutch you should never start the engine in 1st gear from cold
Last edited by Casbar on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

April 2014 LE.  Clunk into first but only when it's warmed up.  All the rest up or down silky smooth and silent.  What am I doing wrong.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nothing, my 2014 is the same. And on a side note the FJR I have at the moment, doesn't clunk into 1st but it does in 2nd and 3rd, so not silky smooth.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: April 2014 LE.  Clunk into first but only when it's warmed up.  All the rest up or down silky smooth and silent.  What am I doing wrong.

Whatever it is, I'm doing it too...
NSrider

Post by NSrider »

Firstly, I LOVE my 2016 RT. As I'm reading through this thread, I can't help but wonder how many riders are reading it and thinking "who cares" After all, it's such a great all round bike, so what that there's an occasional clunk when shifting gears? To me it's just part of the character of the bike and not a negative whatsoever :)
Enjoy every day to the full and treat it as a gift and privilege
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

fatnfast wrote: Initial reports show that the clunk into first has been eliminated, neutral is easy to find,  and all further gear changes are silent and smooth.
My 2016 always clunks into first, but otherwise changes gear just fine, so no rush to buy the latest model just yet. How about other LC owners? Happy with your box or tempted to upgrade?

Maybe BMW will offer the new box for those with issues that go down the warranty route?
HI,  I have a 2017 RT and the gear box is infinitely smoother. When When the engine has warmed up it will clunk when selecting 1st gear from rest.  All other times it is smooth due to a larger selector drum being fitted ensuring a more positive selection.  I am impressed with it and very pleased with the whole bike
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Hope they haven't mucked about with it too much.  There was nothing wrong with it to start with.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Casbar wrote:
With a  wet clutch you should never start the engine in 1st gear from cold

Sure you can, doesn't hurt a thing.  It's smart to roll the bike a few inches in gear first and after that the additional load over what it takes crank the engine is absolutely inconsequential.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Noel wrote:
Sure you can, doesn't hurt a thing.  It's smart to roll the bike a few inches in gear first and after that the additional load over what it takes crank the engine is absolutely inconsequential.

Its not about cranking the engine, its about if its in first gear and a wet clutch and cold,  the bike will sometimes jump forward when starting.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Casbar wrote:
Its not about cranking the engine, its about if its in first gear and a wet clutch and cold,  the bike will sometimes jump forward when starting.

Nope, not when you first roll the bike backwards IN GEAR a few inches.  That is adequate w/ RTW to get sufficient separation.  No 'jump' will happen and if it does, perhaps the clutch is out of adjustment which can happen.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Noel wrote:
Nope, not when you first roll the bike backwards IN GEAR a few inches.  That is adequate w/ RTW to get sufficient separation.  No 'jump' will happen and if it does, perhaps the clutch is out of adjustment which can happen.

Great so you have to roll the bike backwards in gear, then start it. How about you just don't start it in gear. Don't really care what anyone does, but if you bother to read about starting a bike with a wet clutch in gear, the advice is don't as it can jump forward. But again as I said, do whatever you want.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Casbar wrote:But again as I said, do whatever you want.

Oh, OK thanks for the permission. 

I understand the principle you're getting at, but truly, the only significant risk is if your clutch is completely out of adjustment, and they don't suddenly go out of adjustment.  I've done it for 16K miles now on my '16 RT, my brother routinely did it on his '15 FJR-ES, and all remains well.  I am one who does not like the N to 1st clunk, no way no how, and now that ambient temp has come down where I live it is not necessary to start a COLD RTW in 1st gear to avoid the N to 1st clunk.  When ambient is over about 66F, I start it in 1st, and always when the bike is warm.