satellite radio poor sound with bluetooth Sena 20

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
markb4870

satellite radio poor sound with bluetooth Sena 20

Post by markb4870 »

2016 R12200rt. While using Sena 20 Bluetooth very poor sound. Is there a way to connect into the bike external speakers with a Bluetooth connection that will connect to the Sena 20?. Please help, very frustrated..
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: satellite radio poor sound with bluetooth Sena 20

Post by T6pilot »

Do you have the same poor quality sound from FM/AM?
If so could be the bikes Bluetooth module, or your headset

Jim
markb4870

Post by markb4870 »

Yes, All systems, From what I have read this is an issue with the BMW blue tooth connection with the Sena or any other system. BMW is forcing you to buy their helmet system. I'm currently trying to connect hard wire out of their speakers to an aftermarket blue tooth.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I had similar problems with my Scalarider Q3 system.  I came up with a hybrid solution that utilized BT for the phone and nav, but then wired audio for music.  I used an Autocomm 2273 kit to tap into the speaker wires and connect to my BT headset using a wired solution.  The other advantage is that the wonderwheel then can be used to control the volume.  Check out this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=20441#p20441
BMW MOA #210438
carpedatum

Post by carpedatum »

I have the same major moving parts - 2016 R1200RT and Sena 20s - and tried them together for the first time yesterday.  I was astonished at how good the sound was.  What sort of problems are you experiencing?  Are they the same with the engine running/not running?

My last bike was the K1600GT, which had audio problems, both with the Sena 10 and Shuberth SRC systems.  At first I got the same pitch - you just need the BMW system.  Eventually (after four trips to the dealer, in which they changed out the bluetooth module and then the whole system) I established that the issue was a form of noise, an electronic whine, that was most easily shown to them on spoken word (e.g. news) channels on the satellite radio.  Tune to one of those, crank the volume a bit, and start the engine.  Once I finally got that figured, I made one more weird discovery.  Pop out the Nav V, and the problem went away.

The working theory, which I never followed through on, was that cradle for the Nav V was bad.  Probably an artifact of timing - the bike was a 2014 and that's when they made the Nav IV to Nav V transition.  Speculation was that the cradle got a design change that didn't make it onto my machine.

Not that any of this fits your situation.  I'm just sharing it because there may be something to be done about it if you are in a position to nudge your dealer along.  That Autocomm solution timminator mentioned also works, and does exactly what you asked about.  You've just got to be willing to cut into your wiring a little.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

carpedatum wrote: That Autocomm solution timminator mentioned also works, and does exactly what you asked about.  You've just got to be willing to cut into your wiring a little.

If you can find posi-taps, you can tap into the speaker wires without cutting them.  These clamp onto the wire and have a needle that pierces the insulation.  They can be removed later with minimal to no evidence they were ever there.
Attachments
2016-07-31 16.54.05.jpg
BMW MOA #210438