Keyless ride

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Keyless ride

Post by guest2360 »

You could even make believe you have keyless and hang it round your neck, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

My fob stays in my pocket, just the key in the ignition... Simple
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

If your fob is in your pocket and your key is in the bike , surely it's. It keyless? What's the fob for ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The same reason for both systems except for ignition and steering lock.  Central locking and alarm.  But of course the keyed version isn't fitted with a suspect key for the panniers and seat.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Got keyless K1600 and it came with two fobs, in fact the K1600 before that was not keyless and came with two keys and two remotes. Yes I know it's not a RT but it is the same system ;) .

Would recommend going keyless as I love it, fob never leaves my pocket.  :D
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So you locked and unlocked the panniers and set the alarm fumbling with the fog in your pocket.  My keyed and keyless 1600s both had two fods and the keyed one two of those and the plastic one. Things have changed. On the 1600 keyless looks like it's made for the bike with nothing in view except the top,of the ignition button.  On the RT it just looks ugly with most of the mechanismn in sight.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

I really like my keyless.  I keep the plastic emergency key in my wallet just in case but, like my keyless car (which is why I went for it on the bike), it just saves the hassle of fishing keys out of pockets & bags.  My only regret is that I didn't pay the extra fro central locking as the odd occasion that I have needed to lock my top box (I work on a secure site so no need to lock it most of the time) it's been a pain fishing the key out !!

Added bonus is that you don't need to use the key to open the petrol cap.

No regrets at all.
Boroboystu

Post by Boroboystu »

Why would you be searching around for keys ? As they would be in the ignition?
Jim

Post by Jim »

So you locked and unlocked the panniers and set the alarm fumbling with the fog in your pocket.  My keyed and keyless 1600s both had two fods and the keyed one two of those and the plastic one. Things have changed. On the 1600 keyless looks like it's made for the bike with nothing in view except the top,of the ignition button.  On the RT it just looks ugly with most of the mechanismn in sight.
Not if you don't want to…you can lock and unlock the central locking via the handle bar button and set the alarm to activate/de-activate when you turn the ignition on or off. Or you can indeed fumble in your pocket. The choice is yours.

Me I like a little fumble  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes but the ignition has to be on to use the bar button, so its switch on ignition , push button to unlock pannier, switch off ignition. Very straight forward.  As for the alarm .  I would not use the default setting as it's a pain to unset it if you don't need to use it. 
But as you say, it's no problem to have a fumble.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Like has been said ,is it so difficult to insert a key into the ignition. I am having enough problems un learning clutch operation after 40 years riding  now having Pro Shift- mind its pretty poor in first 3 gears up or down and I really would not miss keyless or Pro Shift.  :))
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
JustKrusen

Post by JustKrusen »

RTman10 wrote: Yes but the ignition has to be on to use the bar button, so its switch on ignition , push button to unlock pannier, switch off ignition. Very straight forward.  As for the alarm .  I would not use the default setting as it's a pain to unset it if you don't need to use it. 
But as you say, it's no problem to have a fumble.
You are incorrect.  Ignition does not need to be on in order to use central locking with the bar button.  Fob never leaves my pocket.  As for the alarm all I have to do is hit the ignition button to silence it if needed.  And that has only happened a couple of times in 10,000 miles.

Ed Kruse  2016 R1200RT Naples FL
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Turning on the ignition will switch off the alarm, but if you have it programmed to auto set when you switch off you cannot leave the bike without the alarm unset unless you go into its programme. . Surely with the ignition off even with your fod in your pocket all the controls on the bars are dead. I know on mine nothing works until I turn  the key and I'm nearly sure they didn't on my keyless 1600.

JustKrusen

Post by JustKrusen »

RTman10 wrote:   Surely with the ignition off even with your fod in your pocket all the controls on the bars are dead. I know on mine nothing works until I turn  the key and I'm nearly sure they didn't on my keyless 1600.

Sorry but you are wrong about this part.  With FOB in my pocket and ignition off and alarm set I can still lock and unlock the bags with the button.  If careful I will not even set off the alarm.  That is how mine works.
Ed Kruse  2016 R1200RT Naples FL
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Good for you.  Your alarm must be very sensitive to go off when you just press the bar button.