FJR1300 I take it all back

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

FJR1300 I take it all back

Post by Casbar »

Just finished a shift with our new FJR1300 Blood Bike. Have covered about 350 miles today. Its a really nice ride, handles well, comfortable and has a lot of grunt. So I really quite like it. The bits I don't like, the menu screen and how you control the screen, heated grips is a bit clunky. I have no idea how to reset the trip, even after looking on the net. The worst bit is the luggage, the pannier locks are rubbish and look cheap and doesn't take a full face helmet. But as I said it is a good bike and I would own one. Could easily put some decent luggage on it.
UKDucatiman

Re: FJR1300 I take it all back

Post by UKDucatiman »

Mate of mine is currently looking at one of these, the auto version. After the test ride he was really positive about it. Comfortable, stable and fast.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

FJR Forum is a friendly place, lot of good advice

http://www.fjfjrbiker.co.uk/index.php?action=unread
Jim

Post by Jim »

I have a FJR had it from new and will not part with it. Traveled all over Europe on it with my wife on the back, hell even got to the south of turkey.

They are very good, fast sport tourers.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I had a generation 2 model sold it two years ago to get the RT LC. Really tried to love the FJR but could not get on with the handling and it needed a sixth gear for more relaxed cruising. Yamaha have now given the bike a make over, sixth gear, cruise, trick gear box and lights and electronic suspension. Must admit I would love to have a test ride and see what the latest changes have done. Still think its the prettiest of all the tourers. Come on Honda do something with the Pan !! BMW need more competition.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

A long time ago, I was very interested in the FJR but I had a poor local dealer who could not arrange a test ride within the 3 months I gave myself to consider the market. I have no doubt that an R1 would have appeared in the blink of an eye.

I concluded that Yamaha were not really supporting the FJR with test rides/test fleet and their loss was BMW's gain.

I know it is an great bike dominated by a phenominal engine. I felt that the oil-cooled RT was probably a better all-round package, despite its inferior powerplant.
John Bentall
mattye

Post by mattye »

Hi all,

Hay CASBAR i'm guessing it SERV OBN? I'm also a volunteer with SERV OBN and have my first two rides on the new fleet of FJR's.
Agree with what you said apart from the whining transmission. There seems to be two different sounds. A high pitch whine from the engine which on its own wouldn't be so bad but then the constant whine from the transmission really get annoying after a while. Any idea if the 2016 models also have the same sound?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Hi, no I'm with SERV Wessex. I have no idea about the 2016, as we bought a 2015 model as it was cheaper  8) . But like it, its got loads of torque, but it is buzzy and does need a 6th gear, which the 2016 has. Would go for a test ride on a 2016 though. Not that impressed with the quality of the panniers though.