Spain and Portugal

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
mack62

Spain and Portugal

Post by mack62 »

So I am just back from my first long trip with my 2013 cam head.  My wife rides with me so it full two up touring.

Took the ferry from Plymouth to Santander on the Pont Aven.  Never seen Brittany Ferries jam so many bikes into such a tight space.  Must have been near 300 bikes on board and we were packed in like sardines. 

Northern Spain is so beautiful and once you get away from the cities there is barely any traffic.  Even the motorways are nice to drive on with long linked curves.  Picos are beautiful but we mostly stuck to the coast.  One night in Aviles which is a nice place.  Then off to Santiago de Compestela after stopping at the beach of the cathedrals along the way. 

Then off to Aveiro in Portugal.  I found the drivers in Portugal a lot more reckless than in Spain.  People driving 160 kph with their phones in front of them, people driving slowly with their phones in front of them.  People drifting into your lane as they passed.  Also there is a very messed up toll road system there with APN and only a few places where you can register your plate to a credit card. 

Spent a bunch of days then in Lisbon which is lovely.  Some short drives about from there but I can't say that Lisbon traffic is a pleasure. 

Then across to Merida in Spain which was 32 C the whole drive.  Merida is worth a look if you like Roman ruins/history.  The Parador there has secure parking.  Then up to Salamanca for a few days.  Beautiful weather and city.  Back to Santander and then a cold night drive from Portsmouth to Cambridge.  A great trip and not a drop of rain in 17 days.  Temperatures from 6C to 32C.  :eek:

I had a R1150RT before this bike and took it on many long trips.  The R1200 is better in every way except I found that it is more difficult in cross winds than the 1150.  Not sure if this is from the extra large top case or from the fairing design.  Anyone else with this experience?  Bike didn't seem to use a drop of oil on the journey.  Averaged about 53 mpg so pleased with this as well.  Experimented with both 95 and 98 fuel and definitely found that it ran better on the 98.[/size]

A few pics...

Attachments
20160928_173705.jpg
20160928_124735.jpg
20160922_170136.jpg
20160920_143237.jpg
20160919_113747.jpg
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
gogs01

Re: Spain and Portugal

Post by gogs01 »

Looks like you had a great trip !
I've done similar trips on similar bikes, also two up and fully loaded. Once did Portsmouth to Bilbao, but it's a very long day getting to Portsmouth for me, so Newcastle or Hull have been favourites.
You've just put me in the mood for planning a 2017 trip ..... :kacsint2:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Spain and Portugal

Post by chappers2a »

Looks fabulous. Northern Spain (Picos) is definitely on my to do list. You've just whetted my appetite some more!

chappers2a