REVIEW: 2016 BMW R1200RT - three weeks in

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: REVIEW: 2016 BMW R1200RT - three weeks in

Post by richardbd »

OH - and by the way...

Anybody riding the line round the bend suggested by the Kawasaki advert deserves everything they get...
Noel

Post by Noel »

richardbd wrote:
Ok - one last post on this and then I'm done...

1.  I've never scoffed at modern electronic rider aids - exactly the opposite, I've said I'm all in favor.
>>Good for you, you'd be an idiot to discount new technologies out of hand.

2.  I've never questioned what C-ABS might do.
>>Sure you absolutely did: "I'm unconvinced that it will do anything at all on either an RT or GS. "    Preventing wheel lockup in hard braking is what ABS or cornering ABS is all about--has little to do w/ what type of suspension is on the bike. 

3.  I have said that I suspect that it offers little that a telelever bike doesn't already have - it stops the bike from standing up.

>>Once again, what ABS-C does that telelever will never do is prevent the rear wheel from locking up, then releasing and regaining traction which is a primary mechanism for the loss of stability and crash as the rear wheel wants to roll forward while the bike is unable to since it's leaned over and turning.  Or the front wheel from locking and sliding, etc.

4.  Last time I checked, there were no tele lever equipped KTMs, 1190 or otherwise, so what's the point of quoting this article?
>>Are you kidding me?  OK, it's as I thought, you don't want reality get in the way of your conjecture on what cornering ABS brings to the table.

5.  I have never questioned C-ABS efficacy, just whether or not it shortened braking distances.
>>What I said was:  '... allows you to brake in a significantly shorter distance.'  What I left off of the end of that comment but clearly mentioned everywhere else was, SHORT OF LOSING CONTROL.  Yes, you can brake in shorter distances with lower risk for high/low siding.

6.  Not even the disciple who wrote the quoted article suggested it shortened his braking distances.  He just said it stopped the front wheel from locking and made the bike less likely to stand up.
>>OH NO, hung up again on an argument that didn't exist.  So you're on your telelever or whatever equipped moto w/o ABS-C.  You're leaned over going around a corner at 20mph over the post corner speed.  You suddenly have the need to stop urgently because a massive boulder had fallen down and is spanning the road just around the bend and a logging truck is in the oncoming lane.  W/O ABS you hit the front and rear brakes a bit to fast and voila, 30' after applying the brakes you've low or high sided and sorry, were hit head on by the logging truck.  The rider w/ ABS-C is confronted w/ the same scenario, and he bleeds speed off to where he nearly stops by the time he gets to the massive boulder, hits it and sustains minor injuries.  Did his ABS-C allow him to stop in a shorter distance?  Absolutely, the other rider crashed!

7.  I think that's what I said several days ago...
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

lol, number 6 is really funny, now you are making up stories about something that might or might not happen, there are many scenarios for your story, that can be spun to finish anyway you would want, without it actually happening how can you come up with an outcome.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Let's reduce this to simple principles:

If I had a KTM I would be interested in C-ABS.  If I had a S1000XR I would be interested in C-ABS.

All I ever said was that I'm unconvinced that C-ABS (NOT any ABS) adds anything to the safety of a telelever-equipped bike.  That remains my view

Nobody has said or posted anything that suggests whether that view is right or wrong....
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I will Richard.  Why on earth would you want to pay extra for Pro ABS on a telelever equipped touring bike. And you can bet it's going to cost.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Phew, this has been a good one.  Something else worries me though:  All of this electrickery is brilliant and I don't knock any of it. C-ABS? Pushing the limits for the way I ride but you never know.  No, the worry is that coming along now will be a whole generation of riders who will just rely on the 'grab the lever hard and let the bike sort it out' approach, which could result in sticking themselves in the line of danger in the first place.  Those of us who grew up in the times where which brake you used was defined mainly by which one worked that particular day have evolved our riding (well most of us) where we sense the risks and ride accordingly.  I still try to ride the old way - get the braking done before the corner, then drive through.  Okay, sometimes I'm grateful for the non-diving telelever, but hopefully that's the exception not the rule.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

What he said +1  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Can't emagine the Ho ha there will be here when the 18 model come with optiolal reversing cameras and auto top box opening.
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Methos1979:

I just bought a used (but mint condition) 2015 in Ebony.  Has all the equipment yours has with the exception of the Gear Assist Pro shifter.  This bike has just over 12K miles on it, so all I have had to do is replace the original rear Michelin with a new one.  I too am interested in a front fender extender (not sure why, of all manufacturers, BMW would not put a full-coverage fender on a touring bike !!  I guess it is all about looks.  I am 64 years old, and about 152 lbs. and just under 30inch inseam.  I may be buying a low seat option at some point, but I have to see if I can feel comfortable (i.e. safe in handling) using the stock medium seat.  As soon as I get my brake fluid replaced (required @ 12K miles), I'll be on the road !
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

freyguy17 wrote: This bike has just over 12K miles on it, so all I have had to do is replace the original rear Michelin with a new one...

Something tells me it wasn't the original rear tyre...

:alas: :alas: :alas:
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

freyguy17 wrote: Methos1979:

I just bought a used (but mint condition) 2015 in Ebony.  Has all the equipment yours has with the exception of the Gear Assist Pro shifter.  This bike has just over 12K miles on it, so all I have had to do is replace the original rear Michelin with a new one.  I too am interested in a front fender extender (not sure why, of all manufacturers, BMW would not put a full-coverage fender on a touring bike !!  I guess it is all about looks.  I am 64 years old, and about 152 lbs. and just under 30inch inseam.  I may be buying a low seat option at some point, but I have to see if I can feel comfortable (i.e. safe in handling) using the stock medium seat.  As soon as I get my brake fluid replaced (required @ 12K miles),I'll be on the road !

Congrats on the new whip, freyguy17! Your bike isn't 'Ebony' it's 'Black Cherry', a much cooler name for out bike's color. I didn't think I'd like or use the Gear Assist Pro Shift but I ended up loving it. Go figure. The front fender extender was a no brainer for me as my last bike - a R1200C - with the nice chrome front plate used to have a nice dirt streak running right up the front! Don't get me going on not putting a fender that wraps around full!! I've got a 29" inseam and I prefer the stock (medium seat) and I tried both. I'm up a little but not bad and the bike to me is very light compared to my last bike. I have yet to feel worried about not being able to handle it while moving it around manually or at a stop.

Good luck and ride the heck out of it. I love mine!