Back to an RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Back to an RT

Post by richardbd »

tony23 wrote: Picked her up today :)

Nice colour but somebody stole your radio...
wethead

Post by wethead »

tony23 wrote: New member so Hi to all.

After 3 years on a K1600gt Ive decided to return to the RT. Returned from a 2 week trip to the Picos 3 weeks ago and for the first time I began to question the weight of the 1600, I was more aware of it than I had been in the past, I just didnt seem to gel with it anymore :(

So have now placed order for a new Rt Le in Carbon Black with topbox and dynamic package from Rainbow BMW. No audio as I rarely used it on the 1600.
Wasn`t too sure until I test rode the RT, Ive had 2 in the past, but after an hour or so I felt at home and the difference in weight was a joy.
I did visit the dealer south of Rainbow who despite holding a vip event were less than helpfull so I had a run up to Rotherham BMW and they were excellent.
Should be picking up end of month all being well.

hey hey! this looks like bike-owner-plagiarism to me. ditto, ditto, ditto. Back on an RT. Better wind, less weight, had two before. I got mine (third bike bought from) BMW of Western OR. A guy name Rainer is like a 'real-person' which is difficult to find among the sales-vehicle-clang.

I can see this happens more frequently than you would think.

I think the K-16 should be a competitor to the GL; however, it has poor wind protection, maintenance problems, and not very ergonomic out of the box. Of course, it does have other things better than the GL. But my view is, if I am gonna get an 800lbs bike, it better be shaped for optimum touring comfy. On the other hand, folks use the K16 to hot-rod around twisties like maniacs...whatever floats your boat I guess.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
carpedatum

Post by carpedatum »

Just chiming in.  I totalled my 2014 K1600GT in a California freeway accident a couple of weeks back.  A cage leaping into the HOV lane in a big hurry, from nearly a standing stop in the next lane over, took me out.  It was my first real accident in over 40 years of riding, the last three of which have been on the K16. 

Of course, that gives a person a chance to think.  I was lucky to walk away.  Witnesses say it was clearly the other guy's fault, but I will do some skill sharpening in self defense.  Incontrovertibly, I need a new bike. Should it be another K16?

It had been on my mind anyway... the K16 is the biggest, heaviest animal I've ever had, and I ride mostly 1-up.  It was about to need its pricy 18k mile service and would run out of warranty shortly thereafter.  It wasn't the most reliable thing I've ever owned, but it was the most expensive.  Now, albeit under ugly circumstances, I have an open field for decision-making.  Do I really want another one?  However, there isn't much in its league.

So I went out and rode a new R1200RT and a Yamaha FJR, and was simply astonished at what good bikes they both are, after getting off that very special K16.  Sure, the R1200RT doesn't quite have THAT engine, but it is unquestionably very quick, and you immediately notice that it is a much lighter beast.  The handling is excellent.  I've had four or six cylinders all my adult life and thought I'd hate having just two, but found plusses to go with the minuses.  The R1200RT sounds noticably less like a sewing machine.  It has heritage.  Thanks to careful balancing it seems to have less tendency to drag my mild carpal tunnel syndrome into play.  The Yamaha is smoother and much cheaper, and they'd have my money now if it hadn't put my delicate wrists to sleep, and left me a little underwhelmed in some minor areas like stowage and options.  Both are great bikes.

In the end, the similarities in terms of features on the R1200RT, relative to the K16, won me over.  It can be fitted to perform and function a lot like a K1600, at least for one person, but with _much_ less weight.  I do need to learn to put the kickstand down with my heal, but am otherwise very excited.  My pickup appointment is in the morning.

So, anyway, as others have said, you're not alone in your thinking!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

carpedatum wrote: Just chiming in.  I totalled my 2014 K1600GT in a California freeway accident a couple of weeks back.  A cage leaping into the HOV lane in a big hurry, from nearly a standing stop in the next lane over, took me out.  It was my first real accident in over 40 years of riding, the last three of which have been on the K16. 

Of course, that gives a person a chance to think.  I was lucky to walk away.  Witnesses say it was clearly the other guy's fault, but I will do some skill sharpening in self defense.  Incontrovertibly, I need a new bike. Should it be another K16?

It had been on my mind anyway... the K16 is the biggest, heaviest animal I've ever had, and I ride mostly 1-up.  It was about to need its pricy 18k mile service and would run out of warranty shortly thereafter.  It wasn't the most reliable thing I've ever owned, but it was the most expensive.  Now, albeit under ugly circumstances, I have an open field for decision-making.  Do I really want another one?  However, there isn't much in its league.

So I went out and rode a new R1200RT and a Yamaha FJR, and was simply astonished at what good bikes they both are, after getting off that very special K16.  Sure, the R1200RT doesn't quite have THAT engine, but it is unquestionably very quick, and you immediately notice that it is a much lighter beast.  The handling is excellent.  I've had four or six cylinders all my adult life and thought I'd hate having just two, but found plusses to go with the minuses.  The R1200RT sounds noticably less like a sewing machine.  It has heritage.  Thanks to careful balancing it seems to have less tendency to drag my mild carpal tunnel syndrome into play.  The Yamaha is smoother and much cheaper, and they'd have my money now if it hadn't put my delicate wrists to sleep, and left me a little underwhelmed in some minor areas like stowage and options.  Both are great bikes.

In the end, the similarities in terms of features on the R1200RT, relative to the K16, won me over.  It can be fitted to perform and function a lot like a K1600, at least for one person, but with _much_ less weight.  I do need to learn to put the kickstand down with my heal, but am otherwise very excited.  My pickup appointment is in the morning.

So, anyway, as others have said, you're not alone in your thinking!

Welcome - and enjoy the new bike!

rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Went from an '09 RT to a '13GTL this year....really nice engine, great handling, etc.

But I'll be back to an RT in a year or two (I'm 62 now) as wrestling a GTL can be a challenge at times...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wethead

Post by wethead »

After three RT/s I decided to give the GT a try. The manufacturing quirks scared me till 2015; by then I figured the quirkeria would be over.

Nope. My GT forks started to deteriorate in the middle of nowhere

To me, the K16 are wonderful and fun machines, but they don't have the dependability of an RT. So I went back to an RT.

I can do the same thing I can with my ex-K16GT: I pass cagers quickly, I carry the same amount of luggage, and I can cruise at 90mph all day.

But with the RT: I get better gas milage, I don't break down in the middle of nowhere, its better handling, less weight, less tire wear and better wind protection.

I always thought 6 cylinders is an overkill on a motorcycle. The Concour with 4, the GL with six, even the FJR with 4 is seems to me, make for a bulky bike.
In todays technological savvy, there is no need to stuff anymore than three cylinders on a bike to achieve pragmatic traits.

The trick is to make them smooth like the K16, durable like the GL and a maintenance minimalist like the FJR. If BMW keeps tinkering with the boxer for improvement, they may come up with the optimum cycle engine yet.

If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.