tyre life

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: tyre life

Post by Casbar »

JMRT

Post by JMRT »

Thanks Casbar!  I guess I will try this until it's time to park the bike for winter, hopefully I can stop the progress going forward otherwise I will have to buy a new front in the spring. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

An interesting thread.  The thing to keep in mind when he talks about his 1600, 42psi is the recommended pressure in the front tyre.  With a 1600 on its centre stand it's very difficult to spin the front wheel as the weight on it is huge compared to the RT.  I reckon that 100  kg difference between the 2 bikes is all on the front.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I had a new tyre fitted a couple of weeks ago and am running it at 40 to see if that makes any difference as the tyre I took off was badly cupped (PR4GT).
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've read some very good things and a lot of very bad things about PR4s.
Does anyone have anything bad to say about PR3s ? My experience of them has been nothing short of brilliant - handling, dry grip, wet grip at least as good as anything else I've used, and tyre life absolutely outstanding. I would be very reluctant to "upgrade" to PR4s.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: I've read some very good things and a lot of very bad things about PR4s.
Does anyone have anything bad to say about PR3s ? My experience of them has been nothing short of brilliant - handling, dry grip, wet grip at least as good as anything else I've used, and tyre life absolutely outstanding. I would be very reluctant to "upgrade" to PR4s.

Very bad things about PR4s - really. I think they have been really good. Think tyres are very subjective. Unless you do back to back testing I would say its really hard to know if a tyre is really bad. For me PR4GT have been great in both dry and wet. But then I am not a riding god.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

+1 on Michelin PR4s my K 1200GT had them and my current R1200RT LC has them both worked fine.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote:Very bad things about PR4s - really. I think they have been really good. Think tyres are very subjective. Unless you do back to back testing I would say its really hard to know if a tyre is really bad. For me PR4GT have been great in both dry and wet. But then I am not a riding god.
Reading back through this thread, there is talk of PR4s cupping and having to be run at higher than recommended pressures, and tyre life less than half what I'm getting from my PR3s.
I'm no kind of riding god either and it's quite possible that I would be quite happy with PR4s, but I would be bitterly disappointed if they turned out not to perform as well, or to last significantly less than the PR3s .....
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: Reading back through this thread, there is talk of PR4s cupping and having to be run at higher than recommended pressures, and tyre life less than half what I'm getting from my PR3s.
I'm no kind of riding god either and it's quite possible that I would be quite happy with PR4s, but I would be bitterly disappointed if they turned out not to perform as well, or to last significantly less than the PR3s .....

Not sure what mileage you get out of PR3s, I got just over 6k before I had to change my front tyre and it was cupped. So my new one, I'm running at 40 psi to see if that helps.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: Not sure what mileage you get out of PR3s, I got just over 6k before I had to change my front tyre and it was cupped. So my new one, I'm running at 40 psi to see if that helps.
From previous post :
My Michelin PR3s have done 8000 miles, including two European tours and a lap of the Nurburgring and now measure 3mm front and 4mm rear. Previous PR3s have been changed at up to 11,500 miles (front) and 7,600 miles (rear),but not necessarily down to the legal limit. I'm seriously impressed with these tyres !
Tyre pressures 36F, 42R. Mostly solo with topbox & panniers full. No unusual wear pattern.
mattye

Post by mattye »

Just to keep the thread going and to give me pennies worth i have just changed my rear PR4 with 8700 miles completed and changing the front with 11000 completed. Front has cupped a bit so time to change. And guess what i'm putting on? you guessed it another pair of PR4's.
8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Gentle on the throttle and brakes then.