General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: New 2017 gearbox clunk free.

Post by Casbar »

Noel wrote:
Oh, OK thanks for the permission. 

No problem, if you need anything else you need my ok with let me know  8)

But I am only quoting what can happen if stating with a wet clutch, never done it on the RT. Certainly on my 2014 Harley, it would jump forward if you tried to start in 1st with the clutch in from cold. Also this is well documented on the net when you have bikes with wet clutches.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Strange how they silently go in to 1st after the first startup, all the mechanicals are the same the only variation is the oil viscosity. I think that modern very thin oils are there to assist low fuel consumption and thereby emissions and this is prioritised over a quiet gear change. Whilst it's no big deal, it is a tad embarrassing at the lights when the guy next to you in his car looks on, admiring your new liquid cooled RT and it clunks as you put it into gear.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not sure what bikes you guys normally ride, but all my Harleys clunked into first gear and in my garage is a brand new FJR and that clunks into first and second when on the move.
Noel

Post by Noel »

blokeonthemove wrote: Strange how they silently go in to 1st after the first startup, all the mechanicals are the same the only variation is the oil viscosity. I think that modern very thin oils are there to assist low fuel consumption and thereby emissions and this is prioritised over a quiet gear change. Whilst it's no big deal, it is a tad embarrassing at the lights when the guy next to you in his car looks on, admiring your new liquid cooled RT and it clunks as you put it into gear.

Don't forget not only does oil viscosity change w/ temperature.  The hard parts in the clutch assembly are going to expand as temperature warms up, likely leading to poorer separation.  What I find is if AMBIENT temperature is over around 66 to 70F, I haven't determined exactly where, I'll still get the N to 1st clunk on a cold engine.  My hope/guess, is that as the clutch wears over time this clunk will get less and less and finally disappear...right before it needs replaced
;)
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

I finally had a test ride on the 2017 model. Less of a clunk into first, but it's still there. The gear change is better in the first 3 gears, but only very marginally over the 2016. Infact down changes were identical. I won't be rushing out to buy one (the rumours are already out about a more significant update next year starting with the GS).

Here's the thing though, the engine felt nowhere near as sprightly, it just seemed a little dumbed down? It seems a bigger cat is fitted as well.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

fatnfast wrote: Here's the thing though, the engine felt nowhere near as sprightly, it just seemed a little dumbed down? It seems a bigger cat is fitted as well.
Could that be the new emissions regulations Euro 4 affects all new models introduced in 2016, and all new bikes from 2017
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

You could be right there. Although from what the dealer says the Euro 4 is for the 2017 models released this September. I guess a downpipe swap could restore any lost poke if this is indeed the case.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have been told that 2016 model bikes cannot be sold as new after 31 Dec because of the new Euro 4 regulations. Wouldn't think there would be many around though with the 17 model having been out since September.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

RTman10 wrote: I have been told that 2016 model bikes cannot be sold as new after 31 Dec because of the new Euro 4 regulations. Wouldn't think there would be many around though with the 17 model having been out since September.
So if you want the faster bike, best get in before the new year and buy a 2016 model  ;) ;D >:D
(If there are any left.....)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Too late .  The fastest model was the Callisto grey.  All snapped up long ago.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

An interesting post here from a chap who traded a 2014 for a 2017. He is saying the 2017 has less poke and has dead spots http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ay-!/page2

Guess I'll have to have a test ride.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: An interesting post here from a chap who traded a 2014 for a 2017. He is saying the 2017 has less poke and has dead spots http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/436097-Off-to-the-bmw-dealer-today-!/page2

Guess I'll have to have a test ride.

My bet is it's nothing to do with Euro 4.  It's the colour...
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Any difference on paper like the BHP at given revs or torque I wonder.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

blokeonthemove wrote: Any difference on paper like the BHP at given revs or torque I wonder.

No just the same.