Smell of hot oil

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
frogger

Smell of hot oil

Post by frogger »

I haven't had the RT long, but as soon as I got it, I put it in for the 24,000 mile service and everything due was done on it. However, I have noticed that when I get home after a run, I can smell what smells like hot oil. I have no drips of oil anywhere and the bike runs like a dream. Just wondered if anyone else experiences this, or any idea what it might be.
Thanks.
guest3954

Re: Smell of hot oil

Post by guest3954 »

I don't have this problem myself. Might be crank case venting to Air Box.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php ... IN-AIR-BOX

Check out the link. ???

frogger

Post by frogger »

Thanks Mike. I did wonder if it was slightly overfilled. Will double check the sight glass. I will also check the airbox as well.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

If you just had it serviced, it's likely just oil that got onto the exhaust during the oil change.  You could get down there and try to scrub it all off with a degreasing cleaner, but it should just burn off eventually.  Keep an eye on the oil level and make sure it isn't leaking over time.
BMW MOA #210438
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

I have a similar smell, no leaks or obvious ones, no drips on the exhaust. If you do a search on the web it seems others suffer the same issue
frogger

Post by frogger »

I did do a google of this Duggie, and you are right, this is so common. I have had two other boxer engines in the past but have never had this smell before. From all the write ups, it doesnt apear to have any detremental affect on the bike or engine. Just annoying. I will try to check the airbox to see if there is any residual oil in there anywhere and maybe reduce my oil level as I am sure its a very full sight glass.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Everytime I have had an RT dealer serviced the oil level has not been visible in the sight glass. (level above the top of the window). I queried this and have been told by differnt dealers that they put in a measured quantity.
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

Frogger, if you do check the air box lets us know what you find.
My oil level was just on the lower edge of the sight glass so for me it isn't the oil level, saying that I had a ride out today and had no issues with oil smells at all !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you run around with next to no oil showing  in your sight glass, the smell f oil will be the least of your problems. You should also have a low oil level warning light showing.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

It's all topped up now, added 200ml to bring the level up, so it wasnt a problem and not low enough for the warning light to come on