Brighter Low Beam, anyone?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

Brighter Low Beam, anyone?

Post by wethead »

My center low beam on me wethead 2016 is kind of yellowish.

I was wondering if there was  a 'whitter' or brighter replacement bulb?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Re: Brighter Low Beam, anyone?

Post by guest2360 »

I'm sure there is but you would probably need to keep the wattage the same or you could end up with warning lights on the dash.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

What type is the bulb (H7 etc?)
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

falconmick wrote: What type is the bulb (H7 etc?)
Yes the center light (Dip) is a H7, the 2 outer lights for Full are H1 on the water cooled RT's  ;)
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

I put H7 & H1 Phillips Extreme Vision +130 (130% claimed increase in distance) in all 3, but cannot comment on their effectiveness. I did not remove the left fairing Tupperware to properly adjust the beam height until after the bulbs were replaced.
2016 RT
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I've tried a few LEDs but as stated if the wattage is not about right you not only get a warning but the offside main beam comes on as well. I tried a resistor but that gets red hot and cant be right. Shame really the GS has LED all round which looks better but not sure if it illuminates the road better.
wethead

Post by wethead »

blokeonthemove wrote: I've tried a few LEDs but as stated if the wattage is not about right you not only get a warning but the offside main beam comes on as well. I tried a resistor but that gets red hot and cant be right. Shame really the GS has LED all round which looks better but not sure if it illuminates the road better.

Can u install the GS bulb (or whatever) into the RT?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm led to believe the lights on the LC RT are much better than the GS. To start with there's more of them.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Well, it was just an idea
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

I installed a LED bulb in my 2016.
It doesn't give CANBUS fault provides about the same cut off, but is whiter when compared to the original H7 55W.
Pic 1 is the bulb
Pic 2 is the pattern on my garage from the LED
Pic 3 is the pattern on my garage from the original 55W H7
Pic 4 is the back of the Light fixture ( I had t remove it due to a bad factory install, clips were bent)
Pic 5 is the LED H7 installed with a hole cut in the cover to allow heat sink to be located out side light fixture.
Pic 6 is the bike with all the tupperware removed along with the light fixture
Attachments
DSCN2542.jpg
DSCN2539.jpg
DSCN2528.jpg
DSCN2507.jpg
DSCN2531.jpg
DSCN2532.jpg
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Seems like a good task for a 3D printer to make a larger blanking plate, always fancied one. I managed to try out various bulbs without having to remove all that fairing ,thankfully as I don't think I would bother ! I like the colour of LEDs but going by the BMW additional lights I'm not sure they are better at lighting up the road than halogen.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I have used Phillips Extreme Vision +130 in my K1300S to great effect/improvement over stock...  It is a 5 min job...  When I can summon up the strength to remove plastic work on the RT I will for sure do the same...  Regards, Peter
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

<quote>Posted by: Peter Baker
« on:Today at 18:17 »
Insert Quote
I have used Phillips Extreme Vision +130 in my K1300S to great effect/improvement over stock... It is a 5 min job... When I can summon up the strength to remove plastic work on the RT I will for sure do the same... Regards, Peter
<quote>
The tupperware removal & light fixture removal & reinstall only takes about 1.5hrs.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

As long as you know what to expect by studying the pictures, then it's not difficult. The fiddly wire clips can be released and swung out of the way one at a time but that is the part to be careful with as they have been known to come adrift from the light reflector unit. Nothing needs force.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

a ha...&nbsp; I assumed from the pictures at the start of the thread you needed to remove more, looking at the owners manual I see dip is a simple cover and main bulbs is "just" the speakers/covers which is better than I at first thought..&nbsp; OK here come some Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs!&nbsp; Peter