RT Owners National (UK) Meet 2017

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.

Where would you like to meet up?

Lancaster
6%
Bournemouth
6%
Cat & Fiddle Pub
3%
Cotswolds (Tewkesbury)
23%
NEC Birmingham
26%
Ross on Wye
20%
Matlock
17%

Total votes: 35

guest2360

Re: RT Owners National (UK) Meet 2017

Post by guest2360 »

There are several Premier Inns in and around Birmingham.

Does it have to be at the NEC?

Or for that matter does it have to be at a Premier Inn? Travelodge also have reasonably priced rooms for the night. Keeping options open would help.

Of course it doesn't have to be Premier Inn.  I suggested that one as it's 3 minutes ride from the museum.  But sometime in the planning you have to select one or it won't be much of meet, just a number of RTs scattered around the Birmingham area.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Matlock does look appealing, 1 hour from Birmingham & gives the option of riding in the Peak District.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

i think we need to get it down to one or two venues then we can approach the hotel chan for a discounted room rate etc for larger bookings. We can approach ANY hotel group, whichever offers us the best all in package; As yet to be determined.

2012 SE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

To be honest trying to get a number of rooms at a discount from hotels requires quite large numbers and the need for a deposit normally at time of booking. 
I regularly arrange tours for a dealer and we are talking 12 months in advance for 30 rooms plus and for a number of days.  For the likes of Travel lodge and Premier Inn they are not interested.  It's just not practical for an overnight stay.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

RTman10 wrote: To be honest trying to get a number of rooms at a discount from hotels requires quite large numbers and the need for a deposit normally at time of booking. 
I regularly arrange tours for a dealer and we are talking 12 months in advance for 30 rooms plus and for a number of days.  For the likes of Trsvellodge and Premire Inn they are not interested.  It's just not practical for an overnight stay.

Fair enough

2012 SE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If staying anywhere, it would be good if they have food and a bar, or at least be in easy reach of facilities. Always like a beer after a good ride
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Meriden to Morton (fastest time),  60 miles in about 1 hour, will look at less direct route.
Meriden to Morton, mainly on "B" roads, with a stop at Tesco in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, just using the A38 to get around Derby.

66 miles, could take up to 2 hours, plus a break.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If staying anywhere, it would be good if they have food and a bar, or at least be in easy reach of facilities. Always like a beer after a good ride

All Premier Inns have restaurants.  I usually go for their meal deal which gives you a 3 course dinner with a beer etc bed and breakfast at a discount price.    Best thing about them is no deposit required and you can cancel up until the morning you are due to arrive. 
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Anywhere but Bournemouth seems OK by me! 👍
Premier inns do seem to be one up on travel lodge's IMO.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Not too worried about a ride out from Birmingham.  I would be battering down the M74/M6 for the meet-up, food, a few beers and the motorcycle museum.  I would then meander back up the spine of the country over a couple of days through Matlock, the Peaks, the Dales, the Pennines and Kielder Forest before heading back towards Edinburgh.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I'll bring the management with me. So long as there is power for the Hairdryer - I don't mind.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

RTman10 wrote: Little bit of research on my option of the NEC shows there is a large event on the first weekend of July and again on the last weekend. This would result in the hotels bring busy. However at the moment there seems to be nothing on the two Saturdays 8th and 15 July. The NEC website as yet however don't show anything for July so it's not certain yet. So for that option we would have 2 weekends when we would have the place to ourselves. I am at the NEC in a few weeks time and will make further enquiries.
I'm involved with a small charity (not bike related) and we held our annual meeting last month at the Holiday Inn Express at NEC.  It was the same weekend as the Star Trek convention and rooms started @ £140!  Good location though, just be careful on the dates.  Not far from good roads.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

We did a couple of days in the Cotwolds last year, pity it rained 😞 But lovely part of the country, we stayed at the Premier in just outside Tewksbury, 15 miles tops to get into the heart of the Cotswolds 👍
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

The price for accommodation will decide this in the end.

2012 SE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The price for accommodation will decide this in the end.

A quick check for mid July at the Premier at the NEC shows £65 for a double or a single room.