Types and suppliers of warranties

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Types and suppliers of warranties

Post by leonjennings »

I am about to take possession of my new to me 2012 RT1200RT and yes i know i keep saying this but i am SOOOOOOO excited; well 55 year old excited anyway. I was looking to get the BMW warranty and i have seen in other threads that the con census seems to be the bikes are great and reliable BUT if yours happens to go wrong one would be grateful of the warranty. Now that makes perfect sense.
while still considering this and slowly moving towards getting one i have been bombarded by Warranty direct and others all trying to sell me their policies. To save me having to read War and Peace on this has anyone already looked into this and decided if the OTHERS are okay or not with regard to cover etc?

2012 SE
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: Types and suppliers of warranties

Post by Sullivj »

I have a 2012, that came with an independent warranty from the dealer who supplied the bike (not BMW).

From what I've heard, the BMW warranty is supposed to be very good.  Had mine not been included in the sale, I would probably have purchased the BMW one.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would steer very clear.  The BMW extended warranty always results in any work needed being done in BMW workshops with original parts.  It's expensive but does include  their emergency breakdown service which is Europe wide.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Out of interest, I just got a quote from BMW.  It is £371 for 12 months with breakdown cover.

I don't think I could bring myself to pay that much.  When my independent one runs out, I'll put that money aside, and take my chances!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There a lot of things that the BMW Warranty doesn't cover. But there are also a lot of expensive bits it does. That will be the same with all warranties. As you say, its an insurance policy. I just had my exhaust replaced on my 2014 at a cost of £1300, which I contributed £60. This wasn't covered by my extended warranty, but because I get my bike serviced at the dealers, they approached BMW for me. So its also about having a relationship with a good dealer
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I was given the BMW warranty with the bike from Motorrad dealer. Very comprehensive and I thought it was good for European Touring benefits. Ask for a booklet from the dealer.