Battery Charging

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Battery Charging

Post by leonjennings »

Im about to collect my new to me R1200rt from 2012. i have asked the Non BMW garage to supply a Canbus compatible charger. They have said they will and will be connecting the standard lead permanently onto the battery so i just need to plug the charger into it. Now my question is will this is ANY way damage or potentially damage the electronic components on the bike?

the charger they are supplying dent have the BMW socket lead in the box so i guess i could get or make one at a later date.
2012 SE
guest2360

Re: Battery Charging

Post by guest2360 »

If it's connected directly to the battery it will have no effect on the canbus.  Batteries on the RT are heavy gel type and need a decent charger. If it's not canbus compatible it probably wouldn't  work through an accessory socket.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

leonjennings wrote: Im about to collect my new to me R1200rt from 2012. i have asked the Non BMW garage to supply a Canbus compatible charger. They have said they will and will be connecting the standard lead permanently onto the battery so i just need to plug the charger into it. Now my question is will this is ANY way damage or potentially damage the electronic components on the bike?

the charger they are supplying dent have the BMW socket lead in the box so i guess i could get or make one at a later date.
I would ask or get the BMW Motorrad charger. They are about £100. It keeps everything simple and compatible. There are a lot of electrical gizmos on these bikes
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

There is a lot of information about battery chargers within this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I plug a halfords charger, directly to the battery, via and optimate waterpfrrof connector. Mine is a 2012 bike.

Never had a problem with it.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

Sullivj wrote: I plug a halfords charger, directly to the battery, via and optimate waterpfrrof connector. Mine is a 2012 bike.

Never had a problem with it.

thank you, do you ever switch off kill switch or anything like that?
2012 SE
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

leonjennings wrote:
thank you, do you ever switch off kill switch or anything like that?

No - there's no need. My optimate lead is connected directly to the battery, and hidden under the passenger seat. I just lift the seat and plug the charger in. I wasn't prepared to spend £100 on the BMW charger, when I have a charger already that works perfectly well on my other bikes.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Lead connected directly to the battery and has always worked perfectly.  A Canbus charger means you don't need to install the strop to the battery but as I have a good charger already I can cope with 10 min work every time I change the bike:-) Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As others have said, the BMW charger is expensive but totally hassle free and can be left connected for long periods.  Having said that I have one and during the winter, a couple of hours a week is all it takes to keep everything spot on. Takes all of 30 seconds to connect.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The optimate can bus  conditioner can also be left connected through the accessory socket. Got mine from Nippy Normans. Started off leaving the bike charging all the time when not riding, but after a long protracted thread, I decided not to bother with it. I will ride my bike all winter, no lay up, so may just give it a burst during the colder months and if I'm not using the bike for a week or so.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

A little bit of googling shows that the BMW charger is actually a re-badged CTEK charger, and guess where they are manufactured - answers on a post card.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A little bit of googling shows that the BMW charger is actually a re-badged CTEK charger, and guess where they are manufactured - answers on a post card.

Look totally different from anything from CTEK so I'm not so sure.  You got a pic of the CTEK one before they swapped the badge.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Here is a u tube vid of the BMW CTEK, think this is a car one, but a thread I read says CTEK make them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6qUbSIH_mk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Try this, although it looks like it might be a car one, but I did read somewhere that CTEK were doing all their chargers http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/28/bmws- ... y-charger/
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Definitely just a rebadged one.  Interestingly Real OEM doesn't show any chargers for cars.  If they were making the bike one I wouldn't expect it to be totally different to anything else they make.  Will have to dig out my box to see if it gives any clue.