Just bought new BMW battery charger for CAN bus system.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
freyguy17

Re: Just bought new BMW battery charger for CAN bus system.

Post by freyguy17 »

My BMW charger was made in China (right on the label).  However, works like a charm.  NO regrets paying the money for it.
I am willing to spend a few bucks to protect a 23 thousand dollar bike from any potential damge.  Cheers to all.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

+1.be
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quite right.  Now who's going to dig up the discount oil saga.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Quite right.  Now who's going to dig up the discount oil saga.

You can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink  8)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Going back to my previous post, the dealer's reason for not recommending the new Canbus optimate thingys (and I was stood at the till with one in my hand) is that they recommend wiring straight off the battery. That's because below a certain voltage the accessory sockets are isolated. So, if you attach one to a bike with a flat battery via the socket then it won't charge apparently. Of course if you keep the bike hooked up to the charger for some/most of the time then this should not happen. How much of that is right/wrong? Not a clue.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Back in 2014 I had a K1600 Exclusive which was an electrical nightmare.  On one occasion it totally flattened the battery in 2 days which locked on the steering (keyless).
When I plugged in my BMW charger strange things happened.  The lights started going on and off and the fuel pump fired up but there was no response from the starter. So no, the socket is obviously not isolated when the battery is flat.  Your man has misinterpreted what they do when you are running and the power is low. Then they can be switched off if they are drawing power.
So was he telling you to go directly to the battery but not with an Optimate ?  There is one other very good reason for getting you to buy a non BMW. charger.  The mark up is likely to be double.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

RTman10 wrote: Back in 2014 I had a K1600 Exclusive which was an electrical nightmare. On one occasion it totally flattened the battery in 2 days which locked on the steering (keyless).
When I plugged in my BMW charger strange things happened. The lights started going on and off and the fuel pump fired up but there was no response from the starter. So no, the socket is obviously not isolated when the battery is flat. Your man has misinterpreted what they do when you are running and the power is low. Then they can be switched off if they are drawing power.
So was he telling you to go directly to the battery but not with an Optimate ? There is one other very good reason for getting you to buy a non BMW. charger. The mark up is likely to be double.
Or they have plenty of them  ;)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Going back to my previous post, the dealer's reason for not recommending the new Canbus optimate thingys (and I was stood at the till with one in my hand) is that they recommend wiring straight off the battery. That's because below a certain voltage the accessory sockets are isolated. So, if you attach one to a bike with a flat battery via the socket then it won't charge apparently. Of course if you keep the bike hooked up to the charger for some/most of the time then this should not happen. How much of that is right/wrong? Not a clue.

If you read the blurb on Nippy Norman site about the Optimate Gold charger, which they sell specifically for BMW bikes, you will see that your concerns are addressed. Having had dealings with my dealer they are not the font of all knowledge. But as long as someone is happy wit their purchase then all is good. If the Optimate does not do what they claim, then they are miss selling.
Last edited by Casbar on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Even selling :enjoying:
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Even selling :enjoying:

Exactly - corrected  :)
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Many, many BMW motorcycle parts are manufactured in China, then imported into Germany for assembly (especially electrical system parts, wiring, and even brake parts).  So, a BMW is "Made in Germany", just like certain Fords are "Made in the USA".  However, don't confuse the country of ASSEMBLY with where its parts come from.
guest2360

Just bought new BMW battery charger for CAN bus system.

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar.  Do us a favour.  Can you send a pm to Steiner.  I'm stuck in Reader only in the forum.  Keeps showing that I've timed out and then verification failed.  Won't let me log out and back in again.
Cheers. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All working again
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Casbar.  Do us a favour.  Can you send a pm to Steiner.  I'm stuck in Reader only in the forum.  Keeps showing that I've timed out and then verification failed.  Won't let me log out and back in again.
Cheers. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have exactly the same problem
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sorry RTMan, been out all morning, only just saw your post! Let me know if you need anything else  8)