Which intercom.... bike to bike....

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest2360

Re: Which intercom.... bike to bike....

Post by guest2360 »

Not with radios attached I ain't.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

I got rid of all my autocom and the associated wire last year and replaced it with the Sena smh5 and the Sena SR10 hub. The SR10 allows a pmr radio to be connected, which is great when I'm instructing if the students dont have Bluetooth.
The PMRs I give to them use rubber over ear earpieces which limits their pain.
It's so much easier to not have to keep plugging in and out as I did with the autocom, with the added bonus of a little soothing background music if I have a 'difficult' trainee ;-).
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

fatnfast wrote: I got rid of all my autocom and the associated wire last year and replaced it with the Sena smh5 and the Sena SR10 hub. The SR10 allows a pmr radio to be connected, which is great when I'm instructing if the students dont have Bluetooth.
The PMRs I give to them use rubber over ear earpieces which limits their pain.

I've just bought an Intaride BIRD1 bluetooth dongle to connect my PMR to my BMW headset, using a bluetooth PTT button.  Lets see what happens...

I have a worry that the bluetooth PTT will probably turn my heated jacket on and the satnav will start talking to guys on other bikes but we'll see!
Dennian

Post by Dennian »

Thanks for your help gentlemen not
Life is like a toilet roll.. the closer to the end you get the faster it goes..
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Why the not.  Thought you got lots of advice.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Why the not.  Thought you got lots of advice.

+1

plus if you bother to dig around a little on this forum there's enough coverage of this topic to fill several books.  Despite that, there is absolutely no consensus on what is the best solution...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Being a Bluetooth hating old git who's used the same Autocom unit on my last three bikes I know what's best.  As long as you don't want bike to bike .
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I have Scala Packtalk but I find the instructions are awful, they just keep going on about the cleverness of the system rather than getting going with the basics, as a result I have my venerable Autocom fitted to my '16 RT for use when I ride with my fellow bikers, none of whom are sold on Bluetooth and use BT when with my partner or alone. This means having 2 helmets, they are the same colour so no body knows. I have a Bird1 but that misses some of the conversations over PMR. If anyone who uses BT successfully can tell me what order and channel they have used to pair the Phone/GPS/Bird1 I would be forever in their debt.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My point is made
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

blokeonthemove wrote: I have Scala Packtalk but I find the instructions are awful, they just keep going on about the cleverness of the system rather than getting going with the basics, as a result I have my venerable Autocom fitted to my '16 RT for use when I ride with my fellow bikers, none of whom are sold on Bluetooth and use BT when with my partner or alone. This means having 2 helmets, they are the same colour so no body knows. I have a Bird1 but that misses some of the conversations over PMR. If anyone who uses BT successfully can tell me what order and channel they have used to pair the Phone/GPS/Bird1 I would be forever in their debt.

Well having used Scala Cardo kit previously I found no issues with the setup or instructions at all.

My mates who use a variety of BT including some with Pactalk also found no issues setting up the Packtalk for bike to bike using DMC and normal BT. As previously stated I have no issues with Autocom, but it wouldn't work for me, as I ride many different bikes, all out blood bikes have sat nav, which we connect to BT headsets so a wired system wouldn't work.
RTBoy

Post by RTBoy »

+1 for the Sena - good bit of kit
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTBoy wrote: +1 for the Sena - good bit of kit

When I bought the Pactalk, looked at the Sena 20s, but the dealer I get my kit from, had many returned Sena units, looked like they rushed the 20s to market. Whereas no Pactalk returns, so I went for the Cardo kit again.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: I have no issues with Autocom, but it wouldn't work for me, as I ride many different bikes, all out blood bikes have sat nav, which we connect to BT headsets so a wired system wouldn't work.

To me that's the main downside of Autocom.  Regardless of views on quality and convenience, if you want to use multiple bikes but one helmet, BT is best because the expensive bit lives in/on the helmet.  If you want to use multiple helmets but one bike, Autocom is best because the expensive bit lives on the bike and the headsets are cheap.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Correct.  One bike, lots of lids got to be Autocom.  Also the units are very long lived.  I've seen them over 10 yrs old still serviceable.  Not sure on the llife span of  BT unit stuck on the side of a helmet
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

You can use Autocom with lots of bikes (if you have them [emoji16]). I've got an instructors unit which fits in my jacket pocket and has built in Bluetooth to connect to various satnavs and your phone and has rechargeable batteries. I use it when I'm on blood bike duty so that I can talk to the coordinator while on duty and riding. It works very well, is very clear, and batteries will last a full three day shift. I have tried connecting to other Bluetooth rider comms though for bike to bike - not sure if it will do that. The unit only powers up when you plug the headset lead into the autocom