Which intercom.... bike to bike....

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Which intercom.... bike to bike....

Post by richardbd »

elephant8869 wrote: It works very well, is very clear, and batteries will last a full three day shift.

You do three-day shifts??
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
You do three-day shifts??

We do consecutive night and if on weekends or bank holidays whole days. Plus we cover Baby Milk runs during the day, so when I'm on my next 6 night stint, if I want I can also do days during the week.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: We do consecutive night and if on weekends or bank holidays whole days. Plus we cover Baby Milk runs during the day, so when I'm on my next 6 night stint, if I want I can also do days during the week.

Crikey - worse than having a job!
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

I normally do a shift from Friday 19:00 to Monday 07:00. We're on duty all the time but only ride for 4 hours then must take a break and are normally limited to 12hrs on the bike over 24hrs. I work into Bath, Somerset and we typically get 20 to 25 jobs in a shift
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Crikey - worse than having a job!

The minimum we have to commit to is 2 duties a month, although most do more. You have to do consecutive shifts to have the marked bikes. A lot of our riders use their own bikes. We cover Hampshire, Dorset and South Wiltshire so quite a large area and moving bikes around is a bit of a logistical challenge. I am now either unemployed or retired, still trying to decide :)
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Regarding the Autocom over BT discussion.

I would like to throw my oil on the fire!  :)

After the first (tester) intercom, which was good up to 30mph - no noise cancelling, we went with a portable Autocom kit.  The boss had a little side bag which had the unit, and it worked perfectly.  It was tested on speeds up to 100mph (not saying where or when but the statute of limitations has passed!)  Time passed and due to disuse the unit stopped working.  I had to stop riding for a number of years.

When I bought the 1200RT, it was decided to go with an intercom again.  Sadly Autocom is not really represented in Belgium, also the GPS (BMW Navigator IV) does not have an audio output.  The only way to get GPS & / or music is via Bluetooth so any Autocom unit would need a Bluetooth unit added.  This would push the price up even further.

Based on reviews (and that it was upgradeable) I went with the Cardo ScalaRider G4.  It spent almost the same amount of time at the dealer than on the helmet.  When it was attached to helmet, I had no end of troubles with it.  Music would cut out within 10-20 minutes of playing.  Eventually we returned it.

I wanted to go back to wired, which meant either Autocom or Starcom, however I was persuaded by a UK BMW dealer that the Sena SMH10 was a better option.

Now 4/5 years on I am reasonably happy with the SMH10, although as with all battery systems the battery doesn't hold the charge as before.  Only on a couple of occasions that I have lost chat / GPS due to the length of operation.

If I didn't need a Bluetooth module I probably would consider a wired option, although Autocom is now owned by Starcom and is still not particularly well represented in Belgium.

Of course with a 6½ year old RT I am not looking at adding anything to it, so any replacement is probably Bluetooth and with that I would go with Sena again!
Best regards, Sleuth
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sound advice, everything can have issues. The Sena vs Scala debate goes on, there are many fan boys for each. Like I said if you google, Dena made a right balls up when they release the 20S, there are pages of people who have had to return them. I am probably sure the issues are now sorted. I was all ready to swap from Scala, I had a G9, but the distributor convinced me to go with the Pactalk, and upto now its been faultless and I have had it nearly a year.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When the time comes have another look at Autocom.  A Logic 2 unit with a dongle costs about £300.  Things like the VOX have much improved over the years as have the headset design.  If you have an audio unit the whole thing can be integrated gives both of you everything including volume control from the wheel.  Yes they were bought out by Starcom some time ago but the brands are still separate.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Re the Sena v ScalaRider Debate.  I have to give my apologies.  I forgot to add the disclaimer.  This is my opinion.  I know form other forums that people have had experience the other way.  Non-stop problems with Sena, and no trouble at all with ScalaRider.  You pays your money and takes your chance!

Regarding Autocom.  When the time comes to replace the headset, I will investigate all options.  To go wired I would probably seriously consider it if I had a new bike.  The RT is 6 years old (still going strong, but...)  If the cost of the kit & fitting was comparable to the Bluetooth systems it would certainly be a contender.  When I looked at it the cost was significantly higher, otherwise I would have gone wired!

I do have a question.  From the websites Autocom and Starcom appear to be very similar to each other.  In terms of price, options, functions & claims.  I knew Autocom, and they would be my first choice, but is there a major difference between tAutocom & Starcom?  As I have said Autocom is not really represented in Belgium.
Best regards, Sleuth
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I ride with a group of about 10 others and a few years ago 3 had Starcom and the remainder Autocom, the Starcom had smaller plugs and did not seem so robust, the sound was also louder but not as mellow as Autocom. The DIN plugs used by these wired systems deteriorate over the years and we always use heat activated shrinkwrap over all connections.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The difference in design and quality is noticeable between Autocom and Stardom.  Autocom cables and plugs are much more robust and the rubber mouldings have a waterproof seal.  The only bit I have noticed that Autocom use which might have migrated from Stardom is the Bluetooth dongle.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Also look into the Top range system from AKE.

https://shop.ake-electronic.com/

Wired or Bluetooth OR combined.  Wired on the bike, but Bluetooth to your helmet - Then you have the bests from two words ...