Question about 'miles until empty' computer readout

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ds99

Question about 'miles until empty' computer readout

Post by ds99 »

2007 RT

How is the 'miles until empty' figure calculated by the onboard computer?

Does it take the MPG readout figure and use that? Because, if you reset the MPG figure the 'miles until empty' figure does not change.

Or does it take the average MPG over last XX miles?

Does anyone know?

guest2360

Re: Question about 'miles until empty' computer readout

Post by guest2360 »

Which ever one it uses I can guarantee that when it gets to zero you will still have fuel in the tank.  This has been tested here recently with bikes still going after 20+ miles.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

There is definitely fuel left in the tank, but doesn't it make you nervous when says "0" :-) Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's probably the idea.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

ds99 wrote:  2007 RT    How is the 'miles until empty' figure calculated by the onboard computer?  Does it take the MPG readout figure and use that? Because, if you reset the MPG figure the 'miles until empty' figure does not change.  Or does it take the average MPG over last XX miles?  Does anyone know? 
I don't KNOW, but from my experience the "miles to empty" varies as the fuel consumption varies - for example, if I have 100 miles to empty as I enter a short road works section with a 40mph limit, I will probably have 120 miles (or more !) to empty when I leave the slow section and get back up to speed, then watch the number plummet below 100 again.
Therefore, it looks to me like it uses the average MPG over the last xxx miles.  Since I've noticed the number rise quite soon after slowing down, I would suggest that xxx = few.  This means that with just a couple of miles left showing, slowing to a more economical speed will see the number rise, and I can confirm that it is possible to go beyond zero (but don't blame me if you're ever left stranded !).
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This thread discusses fuel reserve, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3 it may be of interest.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

not miles to empty but miles to reserve

2012 SE
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Which ever one it uses I can guarantee that when it gets to zero you will still have fuel in the tank.  This has been tested here recently with bikes still going after 20+ miles.

WRONG!!!

I've lost count of the mates I have with pre-LC RTs who ran out of fuel with a gauge telling them they had 50+ miles range left.

Isn't that why on the LC, they went back to the stone-age, float-switch method of measuring fuel?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

We are talking about when the ancient system was "working" .  I once sat at traffic lights having filled up 5 minutes earlier and watched the guage go from full to empty in seconds.  The LC is a different ball game as are some of the later TCs. 
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Never had a problem with my 2010 TC. After re-fueling it just takes a couple of miles to adjust the range.
To answer the original question, 50 miles from zero with .3 litre left in tank - taken from the previous link.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I can't remember when they switched to the present system. It could have been with the introduction of the TC.  I do know it can't be retrofitted to earlier models.