New Member Twin Cam RT SE 2013 2400 Miles

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: New Member Twin Cam RT SE 2013 2400 Miles

Post by guest2360 »

Don't expect your knowledge of Pidcock's has anything to do with your need for 3 clutch units in 21k.
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

RT Man, Pidcocks regarding the GT 13 told me the clutch judder was a quirk of the model, Rainbow tested same and replaced it on ext warranty, perhaps enough said. I know a number of bikers round here who will not do business with this dealer (Piddy's) for similar reasons and worse. The RS had a felt fail on the clutch push rod to cause it to get smeared and trashed, that lasted less than two thousand miles and then the slave cylinder failed and that was another clutch. The bike was in fact a minter but I have since learnt the second owner after me has had to have yet another clutch fitted as a consequence of another component failure. This is why I did more than a normal amout of digging on the type of RT I was going to buy. I am not a rose tinted BM rider, many of the models they do can be bettered for less, there are still IMHO a few models they build really well and it shines through one being the RT TC.

All that being said if this proves to be another BM flop it will be BM's no more for me.
Jacksnipe
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sounds like a very unfortunate run of luck.  I'm sure you are aware that same felt ring is still there on your RT.  Probably one of the reasons the LC has a wet clutch. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Jacksnipe wrote: RT Man, Pidcocks regarding the GT 13 told me the clutch judder was a quirk of the model, Rainbow tested same and replaced it on ext warranty, perhaps enough said. I know a number of bikers round here who will not do business with this dealer (Piddy's) for similar reasons and worse. The RS had a felt fail on the clutch push rod to cause it to get smeared and trashed, that lasted less than two thousand miles and then the slave cylinder failed and that was another clutch. The bike was in fact a minter but I have since learnt the second owner after me has had to have yet another clutch fitted as a consequence of another component failure. This is why I did more than a normal amout of digging on the type of RT I was going to buy. I am not a rose tinted BM rider, many of the models they do can be bettered for less, there are still IMHO a few models they build really well and it shines through one being the RT TC.

All that being said if this proves to be another BM flop it will be BM's no more for me.

Not sure on the reliability of the TC, we run a TC as a blood bike, its now done 54k, and has been off the road for a variety of issues, I'm picking it up today after having the front spindle replaced as the bearings were knackered and had been running on the race. The rear brakes are forever binding and there is a hesitation in acceleration, that no dealer has been able to sort yet, third time luck I hope.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I've come across the rear brake problem before and it seems to be down to service.  My dealer as a matter of course always removed and cleaned the callipers at each service.  This a couple of years ago changed when BMW said brakes should only be visually inspected on service.  The front slider on the rear brake is covered by a rubber grommet.  If muck gets in the result is a siezed calliper and a binding brake.
The GS seems to be more effected than the RT.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

Jacksnipe wrote: Leon, Keh ?

from original post

"The RT was bought for its handling and ease of use. It has had some R&G Crash bungs on front and back, fenda extender, Tank pads, Side stand Foot since I ..........."
R&G Crag bungs i took to mean crash bars; wondering what happened to them.??
2012 SE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Our Gee.  There you are, clear as mud,  Now except for plod spec bikes and pannier protection bars don't think I've ever seen any  TC RT crash bars.  Crash bungs are a bit of a novalty as well.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.