Bike show NEC

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Duggie

Bike show NEC

Post by Duggie »

Has anyone been to the NEC bike show today or plan on going ?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Bike show NEC

Post by beemerboy9 »

Yes, I've been today....

John Bentall
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

beemerboy9 wrote: Yes, I've been today....

What did you buy?
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

How was the show ?
I'm due to go next Saturday.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Went last year on a Wednesday, but so crowded it was difficult to get near some of the stands and exhibits.  Is there a 'quiet day?    If not, I wont bother this year.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

richardbd wrote:
What did you buy?

No big ticket items. The most expensive was an EDZ fleece for £48.

Lots of people bought jackets, helmets, Bluetooth intercoms etc. Typically the show prices are RRP less 20%, maybe more on odd sizes or ends of range.

If one held back the whole year on all one's purchasing for this one opportunity, it would turn into a shopping expedition (frenzy?) rather than a bike show. Indeed, I have bought big-ticket stuff recently, so I am currently well sorted.

I enjoyed chatting, talking to the new touring companies, looking at new bikes etc as I always. I also like sitting on the bikes and dreaming about what I would buy if there were more space in the garage - maybe a Bonneville or a little Guzzi.........

An advance return rail ticket from Euston to the NEC for £10 was a nice bit of icing on the cake.

8-Ball have done an amazing, one-off dark green version of their red ICONIC paint scheme (on the Datatool stand I think) on a 1200RT. I prefer the subtle red to live with but the green is really stand-out.

I hope all who partake will enjoy the show.

Regards,

John

John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As normal it seems to be a place to sell off the last of this  year's  stock for not too much off.  Add in the entrance fee and if you go by car another £12 for parking and it's a bit of a rip off. 
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Went yesterday, it was ok, pretty busy tho . Haven`t been for 3 years and won`t be going again for some time. It doesn`t change much and quite frankly its a bit on the small side. Managed to pick up a new SW Motech tankbag for a good price tho  :) .

Did notice there weren`t many people about in bike gear so they either had a change of clothes or decided it was too cold :o
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: As normal it seems to be a place to sell off the last of this  year's  stock for not too much off.  Add in the entrance fee and if you go by car another £12 for parking and it's a bit of a rip off.

We're going on Wednesday - by bike.  Free parking and a place to store your gear...
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

richardbd wrote:
We're going on Wednesday - by bike.  Free parking and a place to store your gear...

Not part of the Thomson twins ride Mr RBD?
GJ-MOTO
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

I'm due to go next Saturday and taking my 9yr old son, hopefully he won't get too bored !!
If anyone else has been or planning on going in the wk, your feedback would be much appreciated
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Weather forecast for Birmingham is between 4 and 7C with thick cloud.  So no problem with low sun in your face and you would have saved enough on parking to afford a hot coffee.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

We're going Weds by car.  On the lookout for some half price Rukka kit (yeah, some chance I know), a rear paddock stand and maybe some winter gloves.  No doubt will come back with more Muc Off and ACF50 and LED torches than I'll ever use.  Being the owner of a metal hip and knackered bones, it's easier to get the bike up on the hydraulic bench; I find a paddock stand is much more stable than a centre stand for this.

Not been for a few years, so looking forward to it.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

if they held it in april or sept they would have much more people attend. its always freezing and dark in november

and charging for car parking is a rip-off
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sptintgull.  Leave the MuckOff there.  BMW alloy can have issues with it.  And yes I know lots use it with no problem but lots do.