Has anyone upgraded their horn?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ds99

Post by ds99 »

2007 RT

The stock horn is pretty weak so I would like to upgrade it (not with an airhorn)

Has anyone does this?

Any tips/advice?

What model horn did you buy?

etc etc

I am in the UK
Last edited by ds99 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Has anyone upgraded their horn?

Post by guest2360 »

I had a 2005 and that had a very loud sharp horn.  When I bought a 2007 it didn't.
Looking at Real OEM they stopped fitting the loud one in 2006 but it should still be available and should just replace what you have now.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

mmm.. maybe. the 2007 RT has the "canbus" system, does the 2005 model also have this? would the connectors be the same?
ds99

Post by ds99 »

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

mmm.. maybe. the 2007 RT has the "canbus" system, does the 2005 model also have this? would the connectors be the same

Same bike except for the brakes.  Your dealer will know if it's compatible.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Fitted a FIAMM Master Blaster from Nippy Normans £29.00 Excellent  2011 model
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Check the wiring harness on your bike...if memory serves the '05 had dual horns and they deleted one in later years, but retained the same wiring harness thru '09.

The ONE horn you have is likely installed near the top of your front suspension...the connector for the second horn can be found under the left side tupperware, just forward of where your BMW roundel is located, taped to the structural member for the fairing.

The dual-horn setup had (obviously) high and a low tone horns; I just bought the 'other' one (can't remember if it was high or low) and installed it.

Search the forum...I know someone wrote a thread on this...that's what I used as a reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Been hovering about on here for a few weeks until I had something useful to say. I have Hella supertone twin horns on my 2012 model (professionally fitted), they are wired through a screaming banshee control unit, quick press on horn button and the factory  horn sounds, but if button is pressed for more than about a second, the Hella horns give a good blast and also the main beam lights up, has a very good effect :)
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

rangemaster728 wrote: Check the wiring harness on your bike...if memory serves the '05 had dual horns and they deleted one in later years, but retained the same wiring harness thru '09.

The ONE horn you have is likely installed near the top of your front suspension...the connector for the second horn can be found under the left side tupperware, just forward of where your BMW roundel is located, taped to the structural member for the fairing.

The dual-horn setup had (obviously) high and a low tone horns; I just bought the 'other' one (can't remember if it was high or low) and installed it.

Search the forum...I know someone wrote a thread on this...that's what I used as a reference.

Found a thread that might be useful...on the BMWMOA forum.
Since your bike should have the '05 harness in it, take a look:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... uggestions
This thread has pics on locating the connector...and when you add the second horn you do get the loud, attention-getting blast the old '05s had...with no Canbus problems.

Ride safe!
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All you need to do now is persuade your dealer to order one.  As most would never have come across it the high pitched versions part number is 61 33 7 655 882
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I fitted a Stebel Nautilus in place of the useless pip squeak OEM horn. Straight forward plug n'play fitting when using canbus loom kit bought from Nippy Normans. Not the loudest aftermarket horn, but considerably better than the original one!!
Last edited by Steve F on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Steve F wrote: I fitted a Stebel Nautilus in place if the useless pip squeak OEM horn. Straight forward plug n'play fitting when using canbus loom kit bought from Nippy Normans. Not the loudest aftermarket horn, but considerably better than the original one!!
+1.  Mine was on the GT, which was Canbus and it worked a treat.  Got one to fit to the RT (one day).
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

I fitted a pair of high/low horns from Halfords (proper motorbike ones). They cost about £20 for both. As mentioned here, you can fit the extra horn on the opposite side. I just paired them to the single feed on my 2011 TC. You may even have the connector sitting unused on yours.
Nippy Normans do a connector with feed wires that plugs into the bmw socket.
The Halfords horns were a lot louder and never affected the Canbus.
wethead

Post by wethead »

ds99 wrote: 2007 RT

The stock horn is pretty weak so I would like to upgrade it (not with an airhorn)

Has anyone does this?

Any tips/advice?

What model horn did you buy?

etc etc

I am in the UK

Here is your answer my friend: The Mother of all Horns

[size=3px]BMW e39 525 530 Horn low tone - 420 Hz[/size][size=3px][size=3px][size=3px]I finally found the receipt with my BMW CAR HORN. It installs plug-n-play right into the same connectors as the OEM horn on my 2016 R1200RT.[/size]
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Do you have a part number for it Wethead?