Considering a R1200RT...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
RTtourer

Considering a R1200RT...

Post by RTtourer »

Recently joined this forum and definitely mulling over the possibility of getting a R1200RT. I currently ride a 2015 Harley Ultra Limited which I do love(had a 2010 Ultra Limited before this). However, this bike is very heavy at 900+ lbs. An honest self-assessment would have me say that my technical riding skills are not where they should be. Slow speed maneuvers and tight u-turns are difficult for me. I realize that I need to practice and take the proper riding courses which I do plan on in 2017(yup, should of happened a long time ago!). My thoughts("out loud") are: Do I give myself a year to become proficient at handling this 900 # bike or do I ditch it for a R1200RT(after testing/possibly renting one for a day)? I am in my mid-50's and although in good shape for my age, I'm not as strong as I used to be. I currently have 3 bikes and the touring bike is the least ridden(this hasn't always been the case). The Ultra Limited has been primarily used for cross-country trips and other "long" rides. During these trips, the bikes(s) have performed flawlessly, but I can't tell you how many beautiful pictures I have missed because I would have had to do a u-turn on a narrow road! :) I am guessing that the RT would make a nice cross-country bike(and then some)? I am wondering how well it fares in windy conditions? I've encountered some hair-raising winds in the western USA(at that time, I was thankful to have a 900# bike).
That said, I really like the looks(and weight) of the R1200RT. Everything I've read about the model is positive...I've read of many HD converts who went with the RT and never looked back. I am not brand loyal and to be honest, the whole HD "culture" thing isn't my gig, but who says it has to be. I simply have a passion for motorcycles and LOVE riding them!That aside, the Ultra Limited is a fantastic ride(except for the weight issue!). Obviously, the decision is mine to make, but I'd love to hear what you think. Thank you for reading! For those who celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving!
p.s. this forum seems like it has a lot of nice folks! 
yellowjacket

Re: Considering a R1200RT...

Post by yellowjacket »

I could have not said it better myself. I am 67 years young and also have 3 Harley's. The Ultra does not get much road time anymore since I purchased my 2016 R1200RT. I wish I had done it years ago. I love the HP to weight of this bike and it is fun and easy to ride. I also like the ability to make "U" turns on those narrow mountain roads. I have made a few trips from Louisiana to Washington DC and I think at least one Harley (Ultra Classic) will go up for sale in the Spring of 2017. Enjoy !!!!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Buying an RT isn't going to improve your riding skills, in fact if is weighted differently and I would say is probably a little harder to manoeuvre at slow speed. I am 59 and came from a CVO Road King. But I have done a lot of rider training including the Riders Edge twice. Learn how to slow ride and then any bike will be a joy to ride.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Coming from Harleys I agree with Casbar, fully loaded the weight is higher. However, the ride quality is technically miles better (it stops - which helps). I have found great agility, speed and touring comfort with the RT and come off long rides much fresher. Can't see me ever going back to HD. Test ride for a few hours from a local dealer - you'll soon get the feel - same low down torque as HD being a big twin as well.  :)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Mike wrote: Coming from Harleys I agree with Casbar, fully loaded the weight is higher. However, the ride quality is technically miles better (it stops - which helps). I have found great agility, speed and touring comfort with the RT and come off long rides much fresher. Can't see me ever going back to HD. Test ride for a few hours from a local dealer - you'll soon get the feel - same low down torque as HD being a big twin as well.  :)

Got to disagree there. My CVO had Brembo brakes and it is well documented that Harley now have one of the best ABS systems on a bike. It took them a while to get there but tests in the US have shown its now superior to many manufacturers, so stopping was never an issue. As for handling again my Harley was pretty good, I did my ROSPA and IAM on mine and had no problem mixing it with other riders on BM's. So as I said, a lot is about knowing how to ride and how to make the best of what you have, so knowing your bike. Torque wise, I struggled in the first few days as the RT didn't have anything like the grunt of my Harley, I managed to stall it couple of times pulling away, as the Harley would pull away easily in 1st or 2nd. Its a different animal, but I do agree can't see me ever having another Harley, done that and got the T shirt  8)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

RTourer
I came from a 1600 to a RT(15)
The weight loss was very apparent, low speed handling on RT is excellent as it is on many Harley's. the real difference comes when you hit the twisties
Sportbike handling (almost) from the Bmw
Recently we hit some 50mph cross winds in the desert, Lancaster Ca. Bike handled well considering.  Ride one for a half day then decide
Jim
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Casbar wrote: Got to disagree there. My CVO had Brembo brakes and it is well documented that Harley now have one of the best ABS systems on a bike. It took them a while to get there but tests in the US have shown its now superior to many manufacturers, so stopping was never an issue. As for handling again my Harley was pretty good, I did my ROSPA and IAM on mine and had no problem mixing it with other riders on BM's. So as I said, a lot is about knowing how to ride and how to make the best of what you have, so knowing your bike. Torque wise, I struggled in the first few days as the RT didn't have anything like the grunt of my Harley, I managed to stall it couple of times pulling away, as the Harley would pull away easily in 1st or 2nd. Its a different animal, but I do agree can't see me ever having another Harley, done that and got the T shirt 8)
I should have explained my braking comment better. The RT has more efficient braking opposed to the HD Ultra , and will stop the bike in a shorter distance.  ;)
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

I love my RT, but I won't be giving up my Harley any time soon.
Two completely different rides that both have their place.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Casbar wrote: Buying an RT isn't going to improve your riding skills, in fact if is weighted differently and I would say is probably a little harder to manoeuvre at slow speed. I am 59 and came from a CVO Road King. But I have done a lot of rider training including the Riders Edge twice. Learn how to slow ride and then any bike will be a joy to ride.
What's is 'the riders edge'?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Maz12 wrote: What's is 'the riders edge'?

Riders Edge was a 3 day course run by Harley, which was on the lines of ROSPA. It was run in Wales, you did a morning of handling, then onto the roads with one to two instruction mostly with Police instructors, then the last afternoon a graded test, - Bronze, Silver and Gold. The beauty of the course was there was just about every model of Harley which you could try, so basically swap your bike twice a day if you wanted. Harley shut the course in the UK a couple of years ago. But they still run the courses in the States. Passing gave you discount off of Insurance from Harley for 3 years, but also taught you to slow ride and techniques for riding big heavy cruisers.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Thanks for the explanation
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I agree with Casbar, modern Harley big twins ( I had a Road King) with Brembo brakes stop efficiently and overall, in spite of the weight handle well when on the move.  Pushing  is a different matter!    I also did the Rider's Edge course at Builth Wells some years ago and found it valuable, particularly for low speed riding. I would go so far as to say that I found the Road King easier to manoeuvre slowly than the RT. I think it was the weight over the rear wheel that allowed you to literally stand on the rear brake with the power on.    But at age 72, i decided to buy an RT and i can honestly say that I have never regretted it. It handles superbly and to me is as 'light as a feather'!
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

I appreciate all of the responses here. Boy, do I wish it were April vs November! I'm looking forward to taking a couple of riding courses, including Ride Like a Pro which is offered locally. I'm sure I'll test ride, then most likely rent a R1200RT for a day and take it from there. Thanks again!
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

I took a test ride yesterday on the R1200RT and loved it. Nothing like I've ever ridden before. Except to a couple of old cafe racers back in the 70's and 80's, I've only ridden cruiser/touring bikes. This is as close to a "sport bike" that I've ever been. Very impressed with the comfort, speed, handling as yes, the lower weight. The test ride was relatively brief, but I believe the seat/riding position are conducive for long rides...I do have disk issues. I love the adjustable windshield height, but I'd possibly consider a more robust windshield. A couple of other things(that have nothing to do with performance) that I'm not so hot on are the side cases and stereo. Although I've never used them, I'm not sure I would get used to the clam shell design side cases. They don't look as spacious as my current cases and I would think stuff could fall out pretty easily when opened. As far as music goes, I am a tunes guy. I love riding motorcycles. I love music. Bring them both together and everything is good in the world. I spent a decent amount of money upgrading my HD stock set up and I guess I would have the same option for the BMW. All-in-all, I love the look, feel and performance of this bike. I would love to rent one for a day, but the BMW dealer told me there's no place to rent a R1200RT (locally). Not sure if this will post, but here's a picture of me on the demo(no side cases mounted). My preference would be a 17' Alpine White with a top case to boot!

apehair

Post by apehair »

RT,

Regarding your earlier comment about a reluctance to do U-turns on narrow roads, google a few videos of the technique of shifting your weight onto the outside edge of the seat, and then try it out on smaller bike a few times.  It helps to keep imagining yourself doing it. Inner U-Turn.  :-)  Eventually you'll surprise yourself and do it.  And then you'll keep doing it even when you don't have to because it's so cool. It's more of a mental block than anything else. 

Regarding the Harley vs RT decision, it all depends on why you're riding a motorcycle.  I've owned 15 Harleys over the years, and half a dozen BMW's. Quite a few Ducatis, too. In every respect, my 2016 RT is far superior to anything Harley offers except the VROD.  (The VROD motor is a beast.  Doesn't turn worth a damn, but does it ever haul ass in a straight line!)  But comparing the RT to the other bikes Harley makes, the RT handles far better.  It's got better build quality.  Far better wind protection.  More comfortable on a long ride.  Broader power band. Smoother.  Easier to move around in a garage. 

But if I had to keep only one bike, I'd keep my Harley.  Makes no sense, but I prefer riding my underpowered, handles-for-shit, floorboard-scraping, loud, vibrating, obnoxious Harley.  It's the essence of motorcycling for me.  I wouldn't be able to ride as far in a day, I'd be in a lot more pain, I wouldn't enjoy the twisties nearly as much, but I'd have a smile on my face.

Lucky for me, I can afford both my 2016 RT and my Harley.  So, the question to ask yourself is, what matters the most to you on a ride?  The RT is smooth, capable, and in all ways superb.  If that's what you care about the most, you'll enjoy it.  If what makes a ride for you is the V-Twin rumble, the chrome, the paint, the heft of the controls, the other "flaws" of a Harley, you might get bored with the RT.

Regarding your questions about the panniers, you get used to standing beside them when you open them, LOL.  They fit a lot more then you'd think, and it's easier to get to it all.  And this is only an old man's concern, but it's easier on your back to work with them.  Better angle. 

Finally, around the stereo, I have an XM radio subscription on my RT, and feed it into a BlueTooth device attached to my helmet.  Much better than external speakers, to my ears.

Good luck with your decision,

ape
Attachments
IMG_2005.JPG
Maybeline-Pine.jpg
DSC04520.JPG