"wired" bike/dash cam

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

"wired" bike/dash cam

Post by Peter Baker »

Hi, I use a GoPro when touring on holiday which works great for a day at a time.  I wondered about fitting a permanent forward facing camera that automatically records when riding and uses the bikes power - much like a dash cam used in many cars these days.  I have seen a couple of people use bullet cameras discretely wired up to a looped SD Card but never asked which make/type they use:-( anyone here use something like that?  Thanks in advance, Peter
Dollygray

Re: "wired" bike/dash cam

Post by Dollygray »

I had been looking at something like the innovv system http://www.innovv.com/#!the-k1/c3r6 but never got any further as the $ tanked.
Crater

Post by Crater »

A few recent events have made me think about dash cams. My wife got sideswiped in her car by a scrote who was belting down our narrow lane and didn't stop. She didn't get the number and "rat-faced boy in black car" isn't a good enough description for the Police. By the same token I saw that a motorcycling doctor had posted about an incident he had been involved in. He filtered past some cars (at an appropriate speed) stopped at lights, then pulled in and accelerated away when the lights turned green. No problem there you would think. Except one of the cars he had passed took grave offence and accelerated up behind him, overtook and pulled alongside and then swerved into him. Fortunately the car just clipped his mirror and produced a wobble. The car then sped off but only as far as the next set of traffic lights. Here our Doctor pulled along side, amazingly kept his cool, told the driver that he had been hit and he must stop to exchange details. At this point the car driver was abusive and sped off. Our doctor was not just smart enough to keep his cool (working in Casualty is good practice for dealing with lowlife) but was also wearing a helmet cam. He went to the Police, reported the incident and handed in the video as evidence. He had posted one year later after the court case when the car driver had been convicted of Dangerous Driving and had been fined and banned for one year. So it does work.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

The innovv K1 was top of my list as I use my Ghost for "trips" and didn't want to use it for general riding.
THat has now been delayed as I have fitted a Black Vue front and rear to the car.
If anyone has fitted, bike wired, front and rear cameras I would also be interested in their views.
Thanks
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Just bought a 2017 RT  and looking to mount my dash cams (OneBird K1s Ambarella A7LA7 purchased from Amazon)  I used this on my Triumph sprint for 12 months. Front Camera  I have mounted Just behind the perspex near the off side Mirror  the rear  under the back light just above the number plate, but I am struggling on deciding where to put the recorder unit.  On the Sprint it was under the seat  which was easy to get at    on the RT
I am considering under the pillion seat  or behind one of the speaker covers ( I dont have the audio pack)  I am already planning to put a relay and aux fuse box behind one of the speaker covers.  I want to power  the Camera, Sat Nav ( Tom Tom)  and a two way radio.
I don't want to put it in the little locked box  as I think this get too hot.

All wires will disappear behind plastics as soon as they can  so very little is on show.
[size=21px !important]
Dollygray

Post by Dollygray »

The onebird system looks virtually the same as the innov system although the cameras do not appear to be waterproof - has this caused you any issues as it's definately a cheper option that buying the one from china where the K1 has waterproofed camera?
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I raised the question of OneBird level of water proofing of their cameras on Amazon with the suppliers.  They were very quick to inform me that the camera are not waterproof.
Looks like Innovv when the £ recovers.

Unless someone knows of a better system?
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Dollygray wrote: The onebird system looks virtually the same as the innov system although the cameras do not appear to be waterproof - has this caused you any issues as it's definately a cheaper option that buying the one from china where the K1 has waterproofed camera?

Hi  They are not waterproof, but so far I have not had a problem  on the Sprint  the front camera was behind the windscreen  the rear one was under the topbox rack.    The only thing I did was tape over the microphone holes on the top of the cameras.

These recorder units are heat sensitive I had to move it further away from the engine  as it kept overheating.

There are several people selling the same units under different brand names  on Amazon and Ebay.  when I bought it  Onebird was the cheapest  but other may have better prices now  and also It was sent from China  so took around 3 weeks to arrive.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Just to update.
Cameras stuck on  cables routed via right hand side to underneath the pillion seat where I have mounted the recorder unit.
Added a fuse box and relay behind the right hand  speaker  cover.  Power is direct from the battery via the relay    the relay switch is via the aux  socket on the right.  Seems to work ok  there is around a 20 second delay between switching off the bike and the power being cut to the my fuse box.

Still to work on the radio position as that needs to be more accessible  and not sure how to mount the ptt switch.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I always ride with cameras running, got one at the front and one at the back.

Both a Roadhawk/dogcam http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roadhawk-bullet-r-moto.html

Front hardwired into sat nav supply, rear on Fuzeblock with 12v switched supply from aux sockets.

Camera mounted underneath headlight.

Attachments
IMG_5622.JPG
IMG_3309.JPG