I can't keep it a secret any longer...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

I can't keep it a secret any longer...

Post by richardbd »

I'm afraid that I have a confession to make.

I've got a new bike about to arrive and it's not another RT.

I moved to the RTLC just over two years ago.  Partly because I'd always fancied one and partly because my job meant I was commuting 70 miles+ each way two or three times a week.  I came to the RT slightly regretfully leaving my beloved Multistrada behind.

I haven't regretted owning it of a single day.  It's been a fabulous piece of kit - without doubt the best bike for the job I asked of it and it hasn't missed a beat in 12,500 miles.  It hasn't got a single spot of corrosion on it either!

However, nice I'm only working part-time, it's simply too big, fat and heavy for most of the social riding I do and so, when the PCP came to an end, I decided to let it go.

I still can't quite believe what I'm replacing it with.  I'd always said that I would never test-ride a GS in the UK.  I've never ridden one here but have done something like 15,000 miles on them overseas, including Alaska, California, Oregon, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Germany.

I spent a day at my favourite dealer, putting something like 250 miles on a GS, a GSA and an RS.  No contest...

The GS Triple Black arrives later this month.

Will you boys still talk to me?

notnot
notnot
guest2360

Re: I can't keep it a secret any longer...

Post by guest2360 »

You going to paint it grey.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

richardbd wrote: I'm afraid that I have a confession to make.

I've got a new bike about to arrive and it's not another RT.

I moved to the RTLC just over two years ago.  Partly because I'd always fancied one and partly because my job meant I was commuting 70 miles+ each way, two or three times a week.  I came to the RT slightly regretfully leaving my beloved Multistrada behind but I haven't regretted owning it for a single day.

It's been a fabulous piece of kit - without doubt the best bike for the job I asked of it and it hasn't missed a beat in 12,500 miles - well, part from the dodgy driving lights, switches and exhaust valve.  It hasn't got a single spot of corrosion on it either.

However, now I'm only working part-time and it's simply too big, fat and heavy for most of the social riding I do and so, when the PCP came to an end, I decided to let it go.

I still can't quite believe what I'm replacing it with.  I'd always said that I would never test-ride a GS in the UK.  I've never ridden one here but have done something like 15,000 miles on them overseas, including Alaska, California, Oregon, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Germany.  I've always known what a great bike it is but have resisted its siren song, knowing that once I rode one, that would be it.

So, two weeks ago, I spent a day at my favourite dealer, putting something like 250 miles on a GS, a GSA and an RS.  No contest...

The GS Triple Black arrives later this month.

Will you boys still talk to me?

notnot
notnot
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Have to admit I've harbored the same thoughts, having previously had one, maybe
Next time
Jim
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: You going to paint it grey.

They call it triple black.  looks mainly grey to me already!
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

You could get a grey suit to go with it  :alas: :alas:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I had a GS low as a loaner a few weeks ago, loved it. Only thing is the weather protection isn't as good, but if I was just cutting around I would buy one. Great bike  8)  You can buy some spray on mud as well
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Speaking as someone who is moving from an LC GS to a new RT I can wholeheartedly recommend the GS. If I was just going for 'fun factor' I would be keeping the GS. Admittedly I only have the test ride on the RT for comparison but I found it to be a less engaging ride. The GS encourages me to throw it around, the RT not so much. As I said to the dealer after the ride, the RT feels like a more civilised ride - which is both good and bad.

But the flip side - especially for someone like me who commutes all-year-round - is that the GS has very little weather protection and it is very 'buzzy' at motorway cruising speeds. I also found it a bit more comfortable - albeit only on a 90 minute comparison. Which is why I have decided to switch to the RT.

I'm sure there will be days when I really miss my GS - a summer blast over the Cat and Fiddle for example. If money and space was not a problem I would have one of each. Along with an R-nine-T scrambler of course, or the new R-nine-T GS when it comes out.

I'm sure you will enjoy your GS. And for the record, RED has always been - and will always be - the best colour for a GS.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Paggers wrote: And for the record, RED has always been - and will always be - the best colour for a GS.

Exactly the same for the RT coincidentally.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

stayingupright wrote:
Exactly the same for the RT coincidentally.

Yes red was good on the R80RT and the R100RT, but such a dated colour  :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed.  I had a red 1100 in 1996 and when I saw they had dug up postman Pat earlier this year. 😲
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Just goes to prove my point ....

You know what they say .... "The old ones are the best"
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote:
Yes red was good on the R80RT and the R100RT, but such a dated colour  :whistle:

Good fashion never goes out of style.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: I had a GS low as a loaner a few weeks ago, loved it. Only thing is the weather protection isn't as good...

That's for sure.  The wind protection is terrible.  The screen adjust from low (zero protection) to high (no protection)!!

richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Paggers wrote: And for the record, RED has always been - and will always be - the best colour for a GS.

I was right with you up to that point...