RT Forum meet in Europe 2017

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: RT Forum meet in Europe 2017

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
No stickers.
Carry Hi-viz vest (always) in pannier.
No bulbs.
Oh - and no breathalyser either!

So is the 135 Euro fine and points on your licence for no stickers not enforceable for non French?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When I have arranged Euro trips, the way I've done it is, provide web links to hotels & ferries etc. & let everyone book there own.
Don't need to start booking a load of rooms, that's what tour operators do.

The first thing to do is decide on a destination.

It's not difficult, we have done it for the UK trip & all booked our own accommodation.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:
So is the 135 Euro fine and points on your licence for no stickers not enforceable for non French?

They have to catch you first - and I have a Callisto Grey machine!

Mind you, maybe I should get some stickers when the GS arrives...
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:David tried to see if he could join up with the Pidcock run as an individual and found it difficult.
The only difficulty is that the hotel isn't showing any availability for the Pidcock tour dates.

I was quiet prepared to arrange a ferry & overnight accommodation (outward & return) for myself too.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

An 'Ice breaker' could be a Brittany Ferries day trip to Normandy. I do one every year, usually with four bikes. Overnight from Portsmouth to St. Malo with return from Caen the next night. Sharing a cabin both ways will cost you about £65 all in. That's two nights accomodation and a full day's riding. Can't be bad.
Fix a date in the spring and let riders book their own crossing. Obviously two/four  need to get together to to book a cabin.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Stickers cost £2.99, take 5 minutes to fit and 30 seconds to remove.  You will not find a definable answer on if you have to or not.  I advise fit the stupid things.  The reason for fitting them is even madder.  Its so you can be found if your  buried in hedge in the dark.  High vis. Stick it in your pannier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GuzziRick

Post by GuzziRick »

I have organised numerous cycle (pedal) rides in Europe of between 5 and 15 days for groups around 10 but did have 33 from London to Paris. I don't do any pedalling I've just been support/first aid in the van or on my bike (motorised). Probably a bit different organising a Motorcycle trip as you wouldn't need to inform all the authorities and arrange road side pit/food stops every 2 hours, constantly going from the back to the front to make img sure everyone is ok. Really frustrating riding for 10 hours and only covering 80 miles!! The hardest thing is always the hotels and getting people to pay deposits up front but we always managed and raised a lot of money for charity along the way. I would be happy to have a look and see what I can suggest I still have lots of contacts.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

richardbd wrote:
They have to catch you first - and I have a Callisto Grey machine!

Mind you, maybe I should get some stickers when the GS arrives...

Special Green Lane Stickers?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

MacJ.  £65 all in ferry price.  Could you break that down please.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I always put the stickers on.

A friend at work got fined you for each item they should have had, and didn't.

I figure that the lack of stickers is probably a good indication to the French police that you're less likely to have the rest of the 'essentials'.

So I go the whole nine yards and take everything, including TWO breathalysers.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: I always put the stickers on.

I figure that the lack of stickers is probably a good indication to the French police that you're less likely to have the rest of the 'essentials'.

So is that spare bulb set and what about a warning triangle, one site said not for bikes another said you needed one
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Sullivj wrote: I always put the stickers on.

Maybe your friend should have done a bit of homework.  There's a whole bunch of nonsense talked about this stuff.

Check the latest AA site and also a recent answer from the EU commission to an MEP who asked the sticker question:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

Reflective Motorcycle Helmet Stickers: from the 1st January 2016: The EU commision response to MEP helmet sticker question. Regulation No 22 leaves the mandating of conspicuity marks to the discretion of individual Contracting Parties, allowing them to prohibit the use of helmets not meeting the conspicuity requirements. However, it is the Commission’s understanding that the obligation contained in the French legislation cannot apply retroactively to helmets already in use. As a consequence, foreign motorcycle riders carrying a helmet not containing these reflective markings cannot be obliged to bring their helmets in conformity retroactively. Only new helmet types placed on the French market must comply with the new requirements and bear this reflective material. But it is up-yo you?[/color][/font]
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When looking at heading to Bad Herrenalb, I was going to avoid riding through France.

Don't forget the tolls.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My route from Calais give option of Tolls and No Tolls.  I tend to go through France going but miss most of it coming home. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Reflective Motorcycle Helmet Stickers: from the 1st January 2016: The EU commision response to MEP helmet sticker question. Regulation No 22 leaves the mandating of conspicuity marks to the discretion of individual Contracting Parties, allowing them to prohibit the use of helmets not meeting the conspicuity requirements. However, it is the Commission’s understanding that the obligation contained in the French legislation cannot apply retroactively to helmets already in use. As a consequence, foreign motorcycle riders carrying a helmet not containing these reflective markings cannot be obliged to bring their helmets in conformity retroactively. Only new helmet types placed on the French market must comply with the new requirements and bear this reflective material. But it is up-yo you?[/color][/font]

Try explaining that to a stroppy French copper.  Think I'll stick with the £2.99'option.
And the AA are still saying they must be fitted so they haven't read the above.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.