R1200RT-P blood bike gear box problems

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Cleverbee

Re: R1200RT-P blood bike gear box problems

Post by Cleverbee »

On our job bikes, no gearbox problems, only water ingress to the emergency lights ......... RTP's
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

RTman10 wrote: Just doesn't make sense that 4 out of 5 bikes all at the same place and presumably used by the same riders suffer identical gearbox problems.  Wonder how long it will be until the replacement components give up.
All 4 bikes are duty bikes and used by duty riders which means about 14 different riders, each using the bikes for a 3 or 4 day shift.  I was using the only bike which hadn't suffered gearbox problems over the weekend and that one also has a fault. After a few hours use it was very difficult to get the bike in neutral when the bike was on a uphill or downhill incline. On the flat it would go into neutral. When I switch the engine off it went easily into neutral.  That bike is now with a BMW dealer for investigation. BMW has replaced the entire gearbox and clutch, not components on all the faulty bikes so far.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I assumed the complete gearbox and clutch.  From your description it would seem it's a clutch problem but why to me is still a mystery.  On the LC you have to be more gentle finding neutral either up or down compared to earlier ones but it's a trick soon learned. Being different on an incline is a mystery
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

Have the blood bikes got quick shifters ? A pet hate of mine on road bikes anyway and fail to add to the engineering longevity of any bike.
Jacksnipe
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Jacksnipe wrote: Have the blood bikes got quick shifters ? A pet hate of mine on road bikes anyway and fail to add to the engineering longevity of any bike.

Ours don't. But love it on my own RT - if your talking about gear shift Pro.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have the blood bikes got quick shifters ? A pet hate of mine on road bikes anyway and fail to add to the engineering longevity of any bike.

You base your belief on what touring  bike that has the same as Gearshift  Pro.

Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

RTMan, Keh ?  For me another gimmick too far, perhaps of use on a track day bike that is being rebuilt relatively frequently. Speak to Ron Haslam and expert engineers like Hodgo in Derby (Terry Becketts engine builder) and renowed supremo in the bike field : " Quickshifter basically a waste of time/money on a road bike and will damage same "

For the life of me I fail to see the attraction of  a quick shifter on a bike like an RT thats chassis has clearly been designed ( And well) for a progressive ride. Maybe gives a buzz to the point and squirt boys but there again why buy an RT !
Jacksnipe
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have you tried it for any length of time.  For two up riding it works extremely well giving near seemless changes so very comfortable for the pillion.  I fail to see how it can shorten the life of the box. I would have thought the opposite.  But each to his own

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Jacksnipe wrote: RTMan, Keh ?  For me another gimmick too far, perhaps of use on a track day bike that is being rebuilt relatively frequently. Speak to Ron Haslam and expert engineers like Hodgo in Derby (Terry Becketts engine builder) and renowed supremo in the bike field : " Quickshifter basically a waste of time/money on a road bike and will damage same "

For the life of me I fail to see the attraction of  a quick shifter on a bike like an RT thats chassis has clearly been designed ( And well) for a progressive ride. Maybe gives a buzz to the point and squirt boys but there again why buy an RT !

Wow at the tender age of 59, I'm now a paint and squirt boy. Cool, life in the old dog yet.
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

Cashbar, You are that cool you cannot tell the difference between "Point" & "Paint" perhaps everything, as you are a Quckshifter type of guy, happens so quickly, minor details like accuracy have gone by the by !  8)

If you QS boys want a real mans QS buy a 650 Burgman, in auto or manual up and downshifts a marvel  ;D ;)
Jacksnipe
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Have you tried it for any length of time.  For two up riding it works extremely well giving near seemless changes so very comfortable for the pillion.  I fail to see how it can shorten the life of the box. I would have thought the opposite.  But each to his own

+1 agree fail to see how its going to effect longevity if it used properly. At first I too thought it was a gimmick for tack use only but now after 2 and bit years I have grown to love it. However you have to give it time to learn how to use it properly. Love down shifts. For me it puts the fun into the sensible touring bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not going to convince Jacksnipe about this I think.  But do I read into the Burgman comment you are not aware that Proshift works both ways? I don't look at it as a quick shift, more just an instant change when you want without the need to unwind your fingers from the heated grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Jacksnipe wrote: RTMan, Keh ?  For me another gimmick too far, perhaps of use on a track day bike that is being rebuilt relatively frequently.

With you all the way on this. The same goes for electric start, cruise control, ASC, Tubeless Tyres, heated grips and ABS. Can't think why I ever bought an RT!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Jacksnipe wrote: Cashbar, You are that cool you cannot tell the difference between "Point" & "Paint" perhaps everything, as you are a Quckshifter type of guy, happens so quickly, minor details like accuracy have gone by the by !  8)

If you QS boys want a real mans QS buy a 650 Burgman, in auto or manual up and downshifts a marvel  ;D ;)

Lol its Casbar not Cashbar, but hey ho, looks like we both have issues with reading, although mine was down to predictive text  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

MacJ  You forgot keyless ignition , central locking , heated seats, audio units, electric screens and TPM.